Chapter 12

Dani's POV

I'm so lucky that no one suspected anything else from yesterday. I've never fainted from being touched by someone other than the him before and I really hope it doesn't become a regular thing.

My arms are still littered in cuts, my stomach still looks like a shattered glass pane and my head still thumps with every step I take. A few new but luckily minor bruises here and there but nothing I haven't dealt with before.

Alex's sudden outburst scared me yesterday. Not because he was yelling at me but because he sounded so much like my 'dad'. It took heaps of convincing for Alex to not come home with me tonight. I knew that Alan was still pissed and if Alex saw anymore he would surely suspect more than he already does.

Tomorrows Monday. Meaning I'm going to have to kind of overdose on painkillers to make it through the day. From what Fin told me yesterday Edgar has been out with his friends all weekend. I have no idea if Fin's confronted him about the whole 'sleeping together' thing yet. I know Edgar will lie his way out of it but I have no idea what he'll do to me, I've never really gone behind his back before.

And with the fear I'm experiencing now I don't plan to ever again.

Fin's POV

After what happened yesterday, Edgar was the last thing on my mind but now all the anger and resentment I had built up against him is back. This time I need an answer not an excuse.

I woke up earlier than usual today and drove back to Edgar's house. His car was parked outside and the other car, presumably his mothers was not, even better. I knocked on the door pissed but knowing I won't leave without a proper answer.

"Coming." I faintly hear his voice. The door opens to reveal a tired, obviously hungover, Edgar standing in front of me. "Fin." His eyebrows knit together in confusion.

No more bullshitting, straight to the point, I remind myself. "Can I ask you something, about Dani?"

Recognition flashes in his eyes but his quickly gone as he confidently asks "about what, exactly?"

"The fact that you two aren't sleeping together yet that's what you told me, right?" I ask trying to make my voice sound as serious as possible.

"We are but..."

"But what? Its not like your raping her or something so what?" I almost shout.

He seems more nervous than before as he says "were not, but we might have... I mean could have... who even told you that I was lying anyway," He says putting air quotes around the word lying.

"Dani who do you think?" Still angry he hasn't given me a direct answer yet. "So?" I ask gesturing for him to continue.

"Well.. the thing is.." he is cut of by the sound of a woman's voice calling him from the kitchen. Looking relieved he turns around shouting out "yea mum,"

"Edgar hurry up we have to go" she begins but smiles as she notices me standing near the doorway trying my best to stay patient. "oh hello, weren't you the young man who came over on the weekend?" she questions sweetly.

I nod mutely, internally fuming in anger.

"Mum this is Fin, a friend of mine," Edgar introduces me.

"Nice to meet you," I respond gruffly.

"I would invite you over but obviously you have school and Edgar has to drive me over to a doctor's appointment. It was lovely to meet you Fin, Edgar get your stuff were leaving now otherwise we'll be late," explains Margaret, I think her name was.

Edgar heads upstairs quickly. I mutter a goodbye and walk back to my car. Still pissed I didn't get an answer.

On the bright side, I get to see you-know-who when I go to school and I instantly feel better.

Dani's POV

"Need some help?" I look over to see Fin looking at me in amusement. Probably because I've been staring at the page blankly for what feels like hours.

"I need a miracle," I say. Fin moves closer to me pointing at the numbers trying to explain them but the only though on my mind is his touch. As he points out the formula and how to use it my mind is focused on the physical contact between my arm and his.

Why am I freaking out its not like he's going to hit me in the middle of class, not that he would ever hit me. Stupid reflexes making me want to flinch and protect my head with my hands.

"Does that make any sense?" For once my shitty math skills help me with my lies. I shake my head making my confusion evident on my face.

That how I spend the rest of class half listening to Fin try to help me understand the useless numbers in front of me called 'math'. The other half of the time I have to focus on my breathing avoiding thinking about even the littlest forms of contact. Like our legs accidently brushing against each other or our arms touching.

The bell finally rings and the first words out of my mouth are "thank God for that."

Fin's POV

I can't stop myself from gazing my beautiful, amazing and no Fin, I mentally scold myself. Think about her like this after you have the guts to tell her. Stupid voice inside my head.

"I just have to get something my locker," Dani tells me as we leave class. As she opens her locker I notice a blur of red on her left arm before she quickly covers it with the sleeve of her jumper.

"Dani," I say sternly not wanting to be fed another lie. She looks at me with wide eyes opening her mouth to say something. "Don't lie to me," I almost order her.

"It's nothing Fin, this glass cabinet in my kitchen shattered and I kind of slipped while I was cleaning it up. Like I said its nothing you don't have to worry," I look into her eyes the whole time making sure to notice the slightest twitch of her eye or any waver in her voice.

"Let me see," I say still not convinced. She begins to shake her head but I grab her arm and yank the sleeve up.

My eyes widen as I see small cuts covering her arm. Some are long and jagged while others are short and sharp. I look at Dani but she avoids all eye contact her stare boring into the tight grip I have on her arm. I let go hoping I wasn't holding it to tightly but still wanting her to explain further.

She seems to snap from her trance slowly pulling down her sleeve giving me a reassuring look. I'm about to question her further but she beats me to it "I'm fine, yea just clumsy," she jokes. I let it go for now still not completely convinced. She swiftly changes the topic saying "we still on for tonight, this time I can guarantee you I won't forget,"

I nod my head instantly missing our Friday movie nights, it won't be the same with Izzy, Alex and Morgan will also be there but it beats what happened last time. Either way, it doesn't matter how many other people are in the room with us as long as Dani's there I'll be happy.