Chapter 15

Dani's POV

"and you should have seen his face," right now it's just me, Fin and Izzy hanging out together. This week has been amazing. Ever since the big fight between Edgar and Fin, he hasn't talked to me at all, not at school or at home thankfully.

Looking at Fin now, all that's left from the fight is his faded black eye which is healing quite quickly anyway. Edgar on the other hand wasn't so lucky. Fin actually broke his nose so he's had this dumb plaster over it for the whole week. As much as I hate violence, I really do appreciate what Fin did to him for me.

Alan hasn't been as bad this week. A few minor bruises here and there but nothing major and for me that's a win. I feel so free for once, so happy knowing that for now, for just this one moment I don't have to face my home life but instead I get to relish in the comfort of my friends.

"Earth to Dani," a hand waving in front of my face snaps me out of my reverie.

"Sorry, what?" I say directing my attention to Izzy whose laying upside down on the couch in front of me. Her blond locks falling from her head like a waterfall.

"Movies on Sunday, you up for it?" I nod smiling. I can't wait for the weekend, 2 days of doing absolutely nothing. Count me in.

As Fin drops me off home I wave back at him lazily before unlocking my front door. The smile on my face disappears instantly as I take in the sight before me. Standing on the other side of the door is Edgar. His face though still bruised is shooting a deathly glare my way. His grey eyes look livid and his hands are clenched by his sides. I can't help but notice the discolour that's still visible in his knuckles from the fight.

As much as I want to run my body doesn't respond. I beg my legs to move but fear overwhelms me as my whole body freezes. His rough hand grabs my wrist tightly and yanks me upstairs giving me no choice but to be pulled behind him. We near my room door and the fear in me doubles. I can't, not today. My body collapses on itself as I fall to the floor wrapping my arms around myself. My eyes are clenched shut scared of what they will see if I were to open them.

"Get up" he doesn't ask he directs me to. I'm still frozen in fear pleading my body to listen as my mind fights my orders. "Now," I spring up almost instantly shaking like a leaf, my knees feel like jelly threatening to buckle beneath me.

He wraps his filthy hands my waist and swings me over his shoulder carrying me into my room.

. . .

Now I lay awake in bed my body trembling due to the monster lying beside me. As much as I want to get up, I can't risk waking him up. His arm is draped lightly over my stomach yet it feels as heavy as an anvil. Restricting my every move the point of controlling my breathing as not to disturb him. My body is practically screaming at me to flinch but I know I can't.

I bite my lip trying to supress my urges. The metallic taste of blood fills my mouth. Tingles are still felt all over my body and they're not the happy types. They're not caused by the touch of a loved one but the fury of a tormentor.

I feel him shift slightly and instantly close my eyes. He mumbles something incoherently before slowly sitting up. Though my eyes are closed I can practically feel his eyes on me, gliding over my body. I feel exposed though I'm still clothed and my blanket is draped over me. I feel a cold hand cup my face and direct all my energy into staying still. After what feels like an eternity he drops his hand and I feel my heart rate begin to slow down. I hear a creaking sound as he stands up and exits the room.

I don't move until I hear the sound of a car pulling out of my driveway.

Fin's POV

"Please turn your textbooks to page 253 and..." I find myself unable to focus on the monotonous voice of my history teacher. I rest my head on my elbow fighting to keep my eyelids open which seem to be getting heavier with each passing minute.

My eyes wonder around the room before landing on Dani. She looks as bored as me except that her head is cast down doodling something into her notebook. I almost frown at not being able to see her face because her hair is out. The untamed curls blocking her beautiful face from my view. She must have somehow sensed my gaze and turns her head slightly to meet my eyes. Her neutral expression turns to one of joy when she sees me, which feels amazing. Her eyes light up but dark bags are below them, guess I'm not the only one feeling tired today. She smiles at me and mouths 'boring'. I nod tiredly as she directs her focus back to her drawing not wanting to be told off by our teacher for talking.

Today, I decide. Today I'll tell her.

After our movie is finished I'll ask her out on a walk. And then when it's just the two of us I'll finally tell her that I...

"Mr Turner I would sincerely appreciate it if you paid attention in my class" I look up to see Mr Hert, with a look of disappointment directed straight at me. I mutter an apology pissed at his timing. Tonight, I think again smiling.

Dani's POV

I giggle silently at the frustration on Fin's face, Mr Hert probably interrupted a good daydream. My humour lasts for only a few more seconds before my body screams out in pain once again. Last night was horrible.

My legs are littered in lumps of purple. My right thigh is bandaged from the grotesque cut on it, which bled profusely for hours last night. On my hip is a nasty bruise so dark that it is almost purple. It's spread out across my side making me whimper every time it brushes against my pants. Due to my pain I couldn't sleep at all last night so I 'woke up' with a pounding headache in the morning. Which is still throbbing.

All in all I feel bloody great. Note the sarcasm.

After my whole fainting episode with Alex I've been even more cautious. Especially after nights like yesterday, intimate touches from others seem to set me off. I almost pushed Izzy away from me this morning when she linked her arm in mine on the way to our lockers. On my way to the toilet I bumped into some random kid and I swear I could see black spots in my vision. Much to his surprise I bolted to the bathroom and locked myself in a stall. Which was followed by what felt like hours of trying to calm my heart rate. Though I still felt light headed like I was about to faint again.

Even now as the bell rings I take my time packing up my books not wanting to be stuck beside other strangers in the hallway. "Come on Dani, I'm starving," I speed up slightly, not wanting to make Fin wait any longer. I keep my distance, from him and others as we walk to the cafeteria, which is much harder to do then you would think.