Chapter 16

Fin's POV

Dani, I notice, has been really quiet today. She's probably just tired, but I still can't help but notice. I put my hand on her arm startling her. "You alright Dani?" I ask noting how much darker the bags under her eyes appear now that were face to face and not looking at each other from across the room.

"Y-y-yeah, I just slept late," she stutters slightly, yawning after the sentence which kind of proves her point. Her eyes aren't looking at me but are focused on my hands which is still resting on her arm. She looks scared but of what?

"Sorry," I say moving my hand, maybe it was annoying her or something. "If you want just sleep for a bit now, we have double English next you'll need energy for that," She nods absentmindedly before resting her head on her arms, falling asleep almost instantly.

After Izzy arrives we spend lunch talking and laughing be mindful of Dani whose still asleep. Izzy seems as worried as me but we both know Dani's always been a bit of an insomniac.

"Have you told her yet?" My gaze snaps back from Dani's sleeping form to Izzy. Ever since Izzy helped me realise my feelings for Dani we've never really talked about it.

I shake my head, "I want to tonight thought,"

"Thank god, any longer and I would've lost," she says with a knowing smile on her face.

"Lost what?" I ask confused. Before an idea pops into my head "you and Morgan's bet?" I guess, remembering their bet which they've had for ages now. That I'm still clueless about.

"You'll just have to find out," Fine then be mysterious. The bell rings signalling the end of our freedom. Izzy leans over to Dani and slightly shakes her awake.

"What" she murmurs her face still buried in her arms.

"The bell went hon, come on get up, you've probably got more sleep than me right now," Dani lifts her head smiling lazily at Izzy. She looks much more awake now not like she's going to pass out any second. But the bags under her eyes have yet to disappear and are still easily noticeable on her adorable face.

. . .

Today takes forever to end. I barely pay attention in any of my classes and instead can't stop thinking about tonight. Finally it's over.

I'm at my truck waiting for Dani so we can drive to my place for our usual afterschool movie. Morgan is helping Alex tour other university campuses and finally decide on something so both of them won't be home tonight. Meaning once Izzy leaves it gives me the perfect time to make my move if you know what I mean.

"Hey you ready?" Dani asks as she approaches me. I nod my head motioning for her to get in. The drive to my house is fairly silent, like Dani has been all day. I start talking about random topics and apart from the occasional nod or one worded answer the conversation feels very one sided.

As I'm parking I notice Dani yawn for what feels like the millionth time today. "We can stuff the movie if you want to just nap for a bit?" I suggest, seeing the same sleepy look in her eyes as lunch.

She shakes her head muttering something along the lines of "I'll be fine" as we make our way into my house. Dani is already sprawled across my couch and Izzy, who came not even five minutes after us, is scrolling through Netflix trying to find something to watch.

I see Dani's eyes begin to close, poor thing must be exhausted. "You sure you don't want me to take you home early Dani," She shakes her head, rubbing her tired eyes with her fists while still managing to look beautiful.

We finally ,after much debate, settle for a comedy. Dani's resting on the couch to my side, laying on her stomach, her head resting on a pillow tucked beneath her chin. I can see her in the corner of my vision while watching the movie meaning I don't even have to sneak glances at her for once, which is not as stalkerish as I intended it to sound. She still looks half asleep but it obviously engrossed in the movie her lips curling upwards and letting out quiet laughs at the funny scenes. I realise I'm zoning out but I don't care in a few hours I get to tell this gorgeous girl how I really feel.

About halfway through the movie Dani's phone rings making us both jump. She reaches over lazily to grab it. She instantly sits up, her eyes widening and her body seems to stiffen slightly when she sees the caller ID. She mouths 'dad' at us and quickly races into the kitchen to answer the phone.

"May as well get more popcorn while its paused" I say as Izzy pulls out her phone to scroll though Instagram or something. As I'm about to walk into the kitchen I freeze at the sound of Dani's voice.

"Y-yes I-I understand" instead of soothing and calm her voice is almost silent. Her answers though slightly stuttered are fast and quick. The words seemingly leaving her lips instantly. "O-ok,"

Stop eavesdropping Fin, I scold myself resuming my pace hoping Dani didn't notice me just watching her. "I can w-wait," She jumps at the sound of the microwave and swivels around her body calming when she sees me. "I'll s-see you soon dad." She closes the phone looking a little disappointed and deflated. "M-my dad's u-umm picking me up early, he's on his umm way now," Today of all days really? I had a plan, I was going to tell her, she could've been... shut up Fin, you've waited forever one more day won't hurt now will it?

"Everything okay?" I know her and her dad aren't really close so I can't help but worry that something is wrong.

"Y-yea everything's fine, he just umm said we haven't b-been spending much t-time together lately," I fight the urge to ask her if she's okay as I've already asked her multiple times today. She's been slightly stuttering since the morning, maybe she's more exhausted than usual today. Were silent for a bit until the honk of a car makes us both break eye contact. "Sorry for ditching so early." I wave my hand dismissably as she waves Izzy goodbye before grabbing her bag and quickly rushing outside.

Izzy and me decide to continue our movie, knowing Dani's already seen it before. Feeling uncomfortable and wanting to stretch my legs I move to where Dani was sitting before. I lean back on the couch, my legs laying in front of me. Strangely, my right legs feels damp, as if I've sat on wet paint. I lift my leg up curious at the odd feeling before letting out a scream and the faint yet noticeable imprint of blood on the back of my calf.

"Fin would you shut.. are you bleeding?" She's by my side in an instance rolling up my pant leg checking for the source. But like a suspected there's nothing.

"What the hell?" I bring my leg closer to myself examining the smooth skin which has not even a scratch on it.

"Fin wasn't Dani sitting here before?" Izzy asks her voice sounding more scared than I've ever heard her.

"Yeah why..." I stop when I see it. A thin yet horrifying pool of blood is on the couch – the same couch Dani was lying on only moment before.

"How... why... she wasn't," She's at a loss for words just like me as we both try to come up with some sort of an explanation for the red pigment that though extremely dull seems to glow in comparison to the cream couch.

"She's been really quiet today," I say finally voicing the thought that has been bugging me all day.

She nods absentmindedly clearly agreeing with me. "And way more tired than usual, like on the verge of passing out," says Izzy almost finishing my previous sentence.

We're silent for a little longer before I stand up abruptly causing Izzy to fall backwards out of shock. "We're going to her house and asking her now," Not even giving her the option of agreeing with me as I rush to get my car keys. I'm well aware I'm speeding but I could care less, my mind feels like it's in overdrive, filled with theories of what could have happened.

The second I park the car we both jump out, needing answers. I would've walked up to the door, I would've have rang the doorbell. I would've waited patiently. But the second I heard a menacing yet familiar voice boom followed by a series of crashes and the easily distinguishable moan of pain I bolted to the door without a second thought and sprinted inside.

"You fucking slut, how dare you?!?!"