{5} A Dam Holding Back Water

***

***

It was the next day and Malina decided to show up to school today. Her mom was a little hesitant, she thought that Malina should just take the week off of school after what happened. Malina denied her request and tried to reassure her mother that it would be fine. After a little convincing, Malina was on her way to school. She sat with Lydia and Allison during lunch. Allison had her nose buried in a book and was reading out loud.

"The what of who?" Lydia asked, eating some of her food.

"The Beast of Gevaudan," Allison replied. Malina slowly nodded. Allison had been researching her family recently, but Malina didn't see what this had to do with Allison's family, "Listen. 'A quadruped wolf-like monster, prowling the Auvergne and South Dordogne areas of France during the year 1764 to 1767. La Bete killed over a hundred people, becoming so infamous that the King Louie the fifteenth sent one of his best hunters to try and kill it.'"

"Boring," Lydia stated.

Malina's head snapped over to the strawberry blonde, "Hey! I think this is very interesting." It was true. Malina was actually pretty interested in what the book was saying. It must've had something to do with her reading stories like this for most of her life.

Malina gave Allison a signal to continue and she did, "'Even the church eventually declared the monster a messenger of Satan.'" Well, that's comforting. Then again, they labeled everything as something from Satan back then. They had an obsession with that type of stuff in the old days.

Lydia hummed, "Still boring."

"'Cryptozoologists believe it may have been a subspecies of hoofed predator, possibly a mesonychid.'" Allison continued.

"Slipping into a coma bored." Lydia nodded.

"'While others believe it was a powerful sorcerer who could shape-shift into a man-eating monster.'" This part caught Malina's attention the most. It reminded her of Ruby, minus the sorcerer part.

"Any of this have anything to do with your family?" Lydia questioned.

Malina nodded, "Yeah. As interesting as this is, what does your family have to do with this?"

"This," Allison's eyes fell back onto the page, "'It is believed that La Bete was finally trapped and killed by a renowned hunter who claimed his wife and four children were the first to fall prey to the creature.'" Lydia gave her a look saying that she didn't understand, "His name was Argent." Okay, so... Keep Ruby away from the Argents if she ever visited. 

Lydia wasn't impressed, "Your ancestors killed a big wolf. So what?"

"Not just a big wolf. Take a look at this picture," Allison turned a few pages back and held up the book for the two of them to see, "What does it look like to you?" Lydia and Malina froze. Malina looked at the picture with wide eyes, it looked exactly like the one from the video store. The memories flashed in her mind, "Lydia? Malina? Guys?"