Chapter one

Mystic Falls - September 21st, 1855

Jordan Patterson was sitting on the steps of his home, observing his best friend Damon Salvatore who was pacing back and forth in front of him. Damon's dark hair was messy from the number of times he had run his hand through it. Jordan wanted to snap his friend out of his panicked state, but no matter what he said or did, he couldn't get Damon to stop. It had been an hour since Damon had arrived at his home, rambling on and on about Anastasia. "You've already got her father's blessing," Jordan reminded him.

Damon was pacing back and forth, looking visibly anxious as he confided in his friend. "I know, I know," he said, pausing for a moment to catch his breath and make eye contact. "It's not that I'm worried about. I'm worried that when I ask her, she'll say no. I mean, what if she rejects me? I don't know if I can handle that kind of rejection." After a brief moment of silence, Damon began pacing once more, his mind clearly consumed by the idea of being turned down.

"I've had it," Jordan exclaimed as he stood up and walked over to his friend. He grabbed him by the shoulders and urged him to stop. "She's not going to say no. She loves you just as much as you love her. Stop panicking and pacing around. You're making me dizzy. Please, go to Ana and ask her to marry you."

"You do not know that she could say no." Here he goes with worrying. "she could agree with anyone that says we are too young to get married." 

"Let's see the ring." Jordan got a look from his friend, so he repeated himself, this time louder, and held his hand out.

Damon held out the ring to Jordan but pulled back before he could take it. "Should I ask you to marry me?"

Jordan shook his head and said, "Sure, go ahead and ask me if pretending I'm Anastasia makes it easier."

"You can't be serious, can you?" 

"I am. Ask me to marry you the way you were going to ask her," Jordan said. "I'll let you know if it's good enough or if it needs more. Don't you want my opinion?"

"Fine but I'm closing my eyes so I'm not seeing your ugly face looking at me." 

Jordan gasped, pretending to be hurt by his friend's words. "You should know that anyone would be lucky to look at my face," he replied with a grin.

"Let's just get this over with," Damon said, shaking his head and closing his eyes. In no time, he pictured Anastasia staring back at him. He took a deep breath and began.

"Anastasia, I have loved you from the moment I discovered what love truly meant. You were the first person to whom I opened up and the one who stood by me when nobody else did. You are the only woman I want to spend the rest of my life with, the one with whom I want to start a perfect family and grow old together." Damon opened his eyes and found himself staring at his best friend. "This is stupid. She's not going to say yes to marrying me," he thought, knowing he was never good with words, and this just proved it.