Chapter Five

MIAMI - 1996

Benjamin waited for Sebastian to get back from wherever he was. To pass the time, he set his sights on a brunette girl sitting alone at the bar. He was about to get up and make his move when, out of nowhere, a new paper was slapped down on the table, causing him to take his eyes away from the girl to the newspaper. There went his plans to have a good night ruined—all thanks to his little brother. 

"What's this?" He asked, glancing up at his brother sitting across from him. 

"It's another article about the murders." Sebastian reached across and tapped on the large, bold headline. "It's getting out of hand." 

"Someone needs to speak with the people who write these articles. First, they've got to get rid of the headline because Stalker Striker kills again is ridiculous. Why don't they just call it Crazy Person murders again." He looks up at Sebastian, who has a look on his face, and by the looks of it, he wasn't happy about his rambling over the headline. "Sorry." 

Sebastian rolled his eyes, biting the inside of his cheek to prevent himself from smiling when it was a serious matter. He had no time for jokes. 

"Right." Back to what he was going to say. "All the murders are the same. He goes -" He sighed when his brother cut him off again. 

"How do we know this person is a 'he'? They could be a 'she'" 

"Whoever they are -" Sebastian gave Benjamin a look not to interrupt him again. "they seemed to have a type. Girls in their early twenties have to be brunettes. Never have they gone after girls with different hair colours." 

"Maybe these girls look like someone from their past." 

"Yeah, probably." Sebastian nodded. "They stalk their victims, then take them somewhere private before they kill them. They stab them a few times in the chest and slit their throats last." Once again, he reaches across to the new paper. "They've already killed about twenty girls, and they still haven't been caught." 

"It just shows how shit the law is here." Benjamin leaned back in his chair. "Why are you caring about this? We are just passing through this town before we move on, so whatever happens here is not our problem." 

"The question is, why aren't you caring about this?" He shot back. "You should be caring about this like me. I'm not going to leave until I catch them, then I'm going to kill them. I would really like it if you were on my side and not against me, but if you don't, then I guess I'm fine with doing it all on my own."