17- Sam

This one's a long one, hope you don't mind ;)

Sam

Walking into the cafeteria on Monday, I spotted Noah at our lunch table and started walking towards him when someone tapped my shoulder. I turned around to find Ben Hernandez. The boy from my math class. "Uh, Hey. What's up?" I asked.

"Hey Sam, I uh," he looked fidgety and nervous, which is odd because he was always so cool and confident. "I was wondering if maybe you'd like to go out this weekend with me?"

I tried not to convey how surprised I was by his sudden question. I don't know why I was surprised, we flirt everyday in class, but I thought it was fun and harmless. Oh, God, I enabled this! "Go out as in-" not a date, not a date, not-

"A date," he finished with an award winning smile.

"Oh, um... haha when?"

"Friday. I was thinking we could check out the new mini golf course that just opened up?"

Ah man, what do I do? He's cute and all, but... he's no Noah. Jesus, I have to get over him. "Yeah, I'd love to, but I have to check my work schedule first. I'll text you."

"Yeah, perfect!" He chirped. My hands were subtly shaking with nerves as I handed him my phone to add his contact information. He typed in his name and number then gave me back my phone. "Just let me know," He smiled. "Uh, this actually isn't my lunch period, so I gotta go to class."

I chuckled, "The bell rang like two minutes ago. You're late," I told him.

"It's worth it," Ben winked. "Text me," he said before walking away. Oh boy. I took a breath and continued to my lunch table.

"Hey, where were you?" Noah asked as I dropped my bookbag on the ground and took a seat next to him.

"Um, Ben wanted to talk to me," I explained. Luckily, it was just us two since the rest of our group went in line to buy a lunch.

"Ben?" Noah questioned. He looked good today; his dark hair messy and wavy. He wore black cargo pants and a baggie t-shirt. All white Nike gym shoes.

"The Junior? Ben Hernandez?" I took my lunch box out and fished through it for my sandwich.

"Oh, what'd he talk to you about?" Noah asked, more focused on his lunch.

"He, uh, asked me out. On a date... this Friday," I explained, my eyes not leaving his face so I could catch some sort of reaction if any.

And there was. Noah's fork stopped trying to stab into his pasta salad, but didn't look at me. "Oh. I didn't know you liked Ben," he said then continued picking through his salad. He had a habit of taking all the vegetables out, so it ends up just being noodles.

Noah pausing was weird, right? He definitely stopped when I mentioned the date. But I shouldn't read into that. "Uh, I don't even know if I like him or not. I never really thought about him that way, so it kind of surprised me when he asked," I told him honestly.

"So? Did you say yes?" Noah asked nonchalantly like he had no interest in this conversation. Not that he would be interested... unless? No, Sam, don't go there. But, he wouldn't look at me. Part of me felt like I needed to look into his eyes. See a hint of disappointment or irritation that I was going out on a date with someone who wasn't him. But I knew I'd get my hopes up.

"I told him I'd have to check my work schedule."

"I thought you told me you don't work this Friday" he pointed out, finally looking up at me.

I know, idiot, I just wanted to know how you'd react. Was it crazy for me to think that Noah would stop me from agreeing to go on a date? "I know. I... just wanted your opinion."