Truth Comes Out

"Mom! Wow what a surprise." I said, trying to act as normal as possible. I tried to shut the door a little so that she couldn't see inside, but before I could, clueless Tom came and smiled at my mom.

You should have seen my mom's face. It was a mixture of confusion, and shock. She didn't even smile back to Tom. She kept her eyes on me. "Ariana. Who is this?"

I sighed. "This, is Tom. And Tom, this is my mother."

My mom glared at me, before unlocking eyes and shaking Tom's hand. "Nice to meet you." She said, with almost no enthusiasm.

"Its a great pleasure." Tom said sweetly.

My mom wasn't letting this go. She looked back to me. "So, how do you two know each other?"

I felt my heart drop into my stomach. I knew for sure that it's time to tell her everything.

"He..." I began, then paused. Not sure what to say. How do you tell your mother that... you've been lying to her for nearly a month? And that the stranger who walked you home one night, is now a big part of your life.

I guess I paused for too long. Because Tom began to answer my mother's question for me. This couldn't be good.

"I actually met her when she first moved to London! She was lost, so I asked her if she needed help, I walked her home, and...we've been friends ever since." Tom explained.

Truth is out. Here comes the consequences.

My mother turned to me. "Ariana, can I speak to you in the hallway, alone?"

She turned around and walked into the hallway of my apartment building.

I looked over to Tom. He was getting the hint that my mother was not happy. I smiled at him, to comfort him. "I'll be right back."

Tom nodded. "Yeah, take your time."

I followed my mother into the hallway and shut the door, leaving Tom alone in my apartment.

Once the door shut, my mother shot off like a cannon. "He met you the day you moved here! Wow!" She said, with a mixture of sarcasm and anger. "That sounds a lot like the man you told me about before. The stranger. The random guy who helped you home when you were lost. The man I warned you to be careful of! The man you failed to mention again until now! Of all times!"

I rolled my eyes. "He's not a stranger anymore mom, he's my friend."

She gave me a laugh. "He's your friend?"

I nodded. "Yeah."

She glared at me. "Is he your friend? Or is he your rebound from John?"

When she said that, I wanted to puke.

My jaw dropped. My ears burned. And my eyes began to water a bit. I was on the verge of an angry rampage.

"Now you listen. Absolutely nothing happened between Tom and I. And it sickens me that you think something would happen. I am still trying to get through this break up with John. I am not rebounding Mom, I'm grieving. And I'm trying to be strong. And Tom... he is helping me along." I continued. "I have been depressed since the first second I got to London. Every night, I'd cry myself to sleep. And every night that I didn't call you, I talked to that man inside of my apartment. So don't you dare assume that Tom is just a rebound. Because he is worth way more than that to me."

My mom stared at me. She was in shock. And to be honest, so was I. I didn't know I had it in me to say what I said. But, every word was true.

My mom took a deep breath after a long pause. "I'm sorry..." She said finally. "I didn't know."