Things to Give You

I lost track of just how long I was starring at that envelope. And how neatly my father wrote my name across the front of it.

I snapped out of my trance when I heard someone knock at my front door. I was dumb if I didn't know who it was. It had to be Tom. A part of me wanted to run to the door as fast as possible and answer it and hug him so tight. Then, another part of me didn't want to answer the door at all... I'm not home.

I answered it anyway. Making sure my dried tears were not visible before opening the door to Tom.

Tom was dressed casually. He had a small bag in his hands. But that wasn't what I was focused on. I was focused on his smile. Because when I opened the door, he was smiling at me like last time I saw him, never happened.

I smiled back. "Wanna come in?"

He nodded and came inside as I shut the door. "I only have a few minutes I-"

He stopped talking as I watched him freeze in his tracks. He slowly made his way to my fathers picture, sitting on the counter, frame and all. He gently picked it up as his eyes widened in astonishment. "This is your father." He said.

"Yes." I confirmed. Not saying another word and letting him come to the conclusion.

"You opened the box." He said as he looked back up to me.

I nodded then shrugged my shoulders casually. "You were right. It was about time I stop hiding for my problems. Or should I say... let my problems hide from me." I said, referring to the fact that the box was hidden away from me for years upon years. My mind automatically started calculating just how many years again.

Tom smiled at me, then looked back down to the picture. "I'm happy for you. I'm so happy that you built up the strength after all these years. And I'm happy that I could be the one to help you do it."

I grinned. "Thank you for the help."

He nodded as he placed the frame back on the counter. "No problem."

It got quiet. Not just library quiet, I mean like abandoned house in the middle of nowhere quiet. Too quiet.

And for a few moments, all we did was stare at each other. Having our own little conversation... telepathically. His eyes told me so much. His eyes told me that he was still 'fine.' And my eyes told him that I was still so sorry. It was as if he never left that night, and we just picked up right where we left off. With his pleading eyes and my chest pains.

I didn't want to break his heart, but then again, I'm breaking his heart by rejecting him. Its a lose lose situation for the both of us. And its starting to break my heart.

I knew that either way, it was going to be the same outcome. But I'm saving him from a lot more pain if I just let him go. Let him find a new girl.

But was I really saving him? Or just destroying him? Again, exactly why I needed guidance.

He finally unlocked eyes and he lifted up the bag in his hands, onto the counter.

"What's that?" I asked.

He didn't look at me as he spoke. "Just a few things I want you to keep, while I'm gone."

"When are you leaving?" I asked again, afraid of the answer.

"My plane departs in 3 hours. I want to get to the airport as quickly as possible. My driver is waiting downstairs to take me to the airport." He answered.

My heart stopped momentarily and I tried my best to speak with the lump in my throat. "Six months. You're gone for six months, right?"

He nodded. And that was the question that made him look back up to me. "Six months." He repeated. Confirming it.