Footprints

Have you ever just thought about something so much, that it becomes all you can concentrate on?

That kiss. That moment. That's all I kept relaying in my mind.

I couldn't think of anything else from that night. Nothing else but that moment. I still remember everything like it happened yesterday. Although It was actually a week and three days ago.

But who's keeping track?

I remember the taste. I remember the feeling of surprise when it was happening, when Tom pulled me into him like it was for his own salvation. But above all, I remember not wanting it to end. And that is terrifying to me.

That night, I got to closer to Tom. With our talk at the Art Show. The way we looked at each other all night. The way we laughed, the way we danced. Like our lives were perfect for that one period of time. Nothing could go wrong.

Throughout the whole night, there was no such thing as John. Or stress. Or depression. There was just us. And the best night ever.

If only that's how reality could be. Just forget about all of your problems and live in fairytale land.

Just totally ignore the fact that you let your only friend in London kiss you, and now he won't call, he isn't keeping in touch, he hasn't been around. Its as if he dropped off the face of the earth.

How could Tom do that to me?

So, like I said. Its been one week and three days. And there was no sign of Tom.

I tried not to let it affect me. So everyday, I'd go to work with a smile. And I'd pretend. I'd pretend that Tom didn't have this hold on me.

That was my daily routine. But the worst part of it was, I still hoped. Every time I'd leave work, I'd look around for Tom's Jaguar. I kept on anticipating that Tom would be there when I turned a corner. Hoping that maybe he'd surprise me.

He never did.

So I gave up hoping. And I began to start facing reality. But some things are harder to forget than others. Like that night. I couldn't forget that night. It relayed in my head like a movie stuck in the same scene.

-

-

"Ms. Harrington. Lucy would like to see you in her office, before you leave." The secretary said timidly.

I nodded. Snapping out of my trance. "Okay. I'll be right there."

I didn't expect it to be a bad talk with Lucy. So I didn't think much if it. And I walked to her office. Knocking on her door softly.

"Come in, Ariana." Lucy said professionally.

I followed her directions and strolled in. "You wanted to see me?" I said.

She nodded. "Yes, Sit down." She answered.

I sat in front of her desk as she studied me for a few moments. It was kind of scary.

"Ariana, are you okay?" She asked bluntly.

I shrugged. "I'm fine." I gave her a reassuring smile.

Her eyes narrowed. "Are you sure?"

I nodded. "Yup. Why?"

"I don't know, its just. You've been acting different lately. You're usually out taking pictures and now, you've been in your office all week. I was just worried-"

I cut her off. "I can assure you, I'm fine." I didn't want to hear anymore reason that I was acting different. I knew I was. But I couldn't do anything about it.