Chapter One: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

Being a princess was not as easy as everyone thought.

Especially on days like this.

I had been promptly rushed to the huge fitting room well before sunrise, and now the sun was about to disappear out of the top corner of the window I had been staring out of the past few hours as I stood as still as possible. A dull ache in my feet was beginning to bother me from standing too long.

Balls were very tiresome to prepare for.

First, they scrubbed me until even the thought of dirt had been completely removed. Charities, my younger sister and the third child, then came with a plate of left-overs from their enormous breakfast. Normally one of my maids would have brought me the food, but they were busy with the final touches for tonight's ball. And they weren't the only ones.

Every able-bodied person, including my father and most of my sisters, were down preparing for the arrival of hundreds of guests.

After the food, they commenced in covering me in moisturizers and cleansers, making me smell like fruit and flowers of every variety.

An elegant woman, whom I only saw during the dance season, then came to make me look the part of the crown princess. She applied powders and creams that were supposed to create a perfectly beautiful facade of flawless skin.

I personally thought they made me look like a child's toy, but fashion is fashion.

"And if it isn't my favorite crown princess," a welcomed voice echoed through the room.

"Mr. Eli!" I would have run to hug the older man if I wasn't strapped to a wicked device that was currently tightening my corset.

"I came to see how well my gown compliments your astounding figure."

"You are much too kind, sir."

He gently raised my hand to his mouth and placed a customary kiss on the top of my hand, which tickled because of his long mustache. "A beautiful woman deserves to be respected. Especially if she is about to be the queen, and complimenting her would mean I get to keep my job."

He chuckled as I rolled my eyes. He walked over to examine the gorgeous dress he had designed and handmade for me to wear tonight. A small figure slipped through the door he had left open.

I could not believe it was me in the mirror. Once again, his work had paid off, and Juno's suggestions turned out better than I thought they would. The dress was a beautiful shamrock green, complemented with dark blue stitching around the skirt and a matching blue ribbon that went around the waist.

However, the most breathtaking feature was the ornate gold pattern that flowed over the skirts of the gown. It didn't take a particular shape or form, but it was mesmerizing nonetheless; almost like a stunning maze had wound itself into the delicate outer layer of the dress. Very appropriate for tonight's ball.

As I stared, a golden chain was brought out to weave through my light brown hair. I almost squealed in delight, but the princess inside me refused to allow that, so I smiled happily instead.

                 *                                                                     *                                                           *

This was the first ball where I would have to greet the incoming guests by myself. The staff had once again lost Diana and my father was the only one who had any idea where she may be – leaving me alone. I was more nervous than I should have been, my father never did much but stand there anyway, but his presence was always comforting.