Chapter Forty-Four: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

It was the busiest that the castle had ever been. Maids were rushing to and from every room in the castle. 

The older half of my sisters were trying to help but were instead getting in the way or moving things so that the maids couldn't find them. 

I glanced over at Harriet. She looked like she might explode if one more person asked her where to place a flower pot or what they should be doing.

Meanwhile, I was strapped to a wicked device that tightened the smallest corset I had ever seen in my life.

On any other day, I would have dared ask Harriet if I could wear my normal corset - the one that Mr. Eli had fit the coronation gown to, but looking at her now, I decided it would be a death sentence. She didn't care if it was my coronation day or not.

I stayed silent.

The coronation would take place today, with the celebration ball immediately following where I would have to dance every dance. I already had half of my dance card filled from the gentlemen who had come to call on me within the past month since the announcement of the ball. Tomorrow was the wedding, with another ball that night. 

My only relief from all the stress would be tomorrow night. 

I was only required to dance at least the first dance with him, and then we could do as we pleased. Some ladies loved dancing as much as possible on their wedding night, but I had a feeling that I would be exhausted. Tomorrow night seemed years away. 

Prince Wilson is going to be my husband!

That word sounded strange to my lips. Husband. 

It sounded so strange and foreign to me. I, of course, had always wanted one, but I never imagined it would be so soon. Even though many women were already married by my age, especially the wealthy. And I had always called him, well, Prince Wilson. But after our marriage, he would no longer be a prince, but a king.

What am I to call him now?  He called me my dear, perhaps I could come up with some cute nickname for him.

Almost as if on cue, Prince Wilson approached and kissed my cheek. "Hello, my dear."

"Hello... Pumpkin."

Pumpkin? Out of all the names that I could possibly think of, why that one?

He chuckled. "I hope that you like pumpkins. If you called me that because I looked like a pumpkin, then I might question your choice of a husband."

I laughed and then held my stomach. "Sorry, this awful thing makes it hurt to laugh."

He examined the tiny corset around my waist. "That looks like it's meant for a child, not a full-grown woman."

I nodded. Finally, someone understood! Then a realization hit me and I felt very exposed all of the sudden. "You aren't supposed to be in here!"

He chuckled. "I didn't come in here on purpose. I was running away from Harriet who was trying to have me wear something terrible, but now that I see you I don't feel so singled out in torture devices."

I glared at him, but couldn't keep the look on my face for long.

"What are you doing here!" Harriet's voice rang through the packed room. "It's not proper! Out! Out! I told you to get into your clothes ages ago! Out!"

With that, Wilson ran away with a mischievous grin on his face.

"Grace! Help your future Queen! If she isn't ready to put the dress on in 2 minutes then I will hold you personally responsible!" Without seeing if Grace would respond, Harriet turned on her heels to go yell at another poor soul. But Grace arrived a few seconds later.