Chapter Thirty-Nine: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

"Okay girls, let us get back to our scarves."

A few groans mixed with one cheerful sigh from Galene who had been attempting to work on her beautiful red scarf when our laughter and chatter had interrupted her progress.

The last suitor had just finished his three days and was now gone. He was not nearly as rude as Prince Damon was, but he was not very bright either. And we had been in no mood to entertain during our time of grieving. 

I moved my handiwork into a comfortable position and then began to subconsciously move my hands in a rhythm I had developed so that I could think about something other than trying to make every stitch perfect. The only way that had worked was when I thought about the scarf as a maze, one of the strings was the person trying to get through the maze and the other string was the maze that slowly formed as the person pushed forward. It was a little silly, I admitted, but it helped.

Peter won't respond. I thought as I remembered the letter that I had delivered to his cottage earlier that morning. I needed to talk to him about Julie. Nothing had been resolved in the council and I wanted to help. 

Does he want your help?

I stood up only to sit back down when I heard Harriet's words echoing in my mind. If you so much as step a foot out of this castle again then I will make it my pleasure to see that you and your sisters receive no more pleasantries of any sort.

I felt like sulking in my chair but chided myself. A princess should be finding an answer to the problem, not feeling sorry for herself.

Just then the door swung open and Harriet strode in, a pleased smile on her face. Two maids followed her, each carrying two trays. The trays were then gently placed on the circular chair in the middle of the room. My eyes, however, were following Harriet who had a piece of parchment protruding from her apron. 

Harriet seemed to have an uncanny sense of knowing two things: when you had disobeyed her, and when someone was staring at her. That moment Harriet's eyes locked with mine after she noticed me eyeing the letter. 

"It is not for you princess," she chuckled. "This letter is addressed to me, from my daughter, Amelia." 

"Letters are wonderful to receive, I am elated that she wrote to you."

I could picture Harriet now surrounded with grandchildren huddled around her begging to be told a story. Bell, Charities and I had managed to get a few stories out of here once in a while when I was no older than Juno was now. I had not thought about those memories in years, it was a comforting thought. 

"Well, do not stand there gapping, come get some food," Harriet said helping some of the younger girls to their feet. "But be careful not to spill any crumbs on the carpet," she warned.

I smiled. Harriet was still Harriet, just happier.

We ate until our stomachs told us not to eat anymore, the food was divine. It was by far the best food that could be found in the all the realm.

"Harriet," Bell asked meekly, and I looked at her in surprise. Was Bell, my sister Bell, being shy? "Could you tell us a story?"

"Of course, my little princess," she said glowing with delight.

We all gathered at her feet, except Juno who crawled up into her lap and waited anxiously for her to begin as she got situated comfortably.