Chapter Forty-Seven: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

"No!" I roared. "I don't care what he did to me! I won't hurt him or his family like this! I don't want to hurt anyone like this!"

But I couldn't seem to get the strength to stop my wings or the fire from exiting my mouth once we reached the house. I hoped beyond anything that no one was there but my fears were made a reality when I heard screams coming from below.

"No!" I landed on the ground and wanted to rush inside to save them but I was too big, I would crush the house. Then a bunch of angry men began approaching from all sides, shooting arrows and throwing sticks that had been sharpened. I wanted to explain to them what I was doing, but I couldn't.

A few arrows went under my scales and pierced my skin. I roared and flew back into the air before I could burn anything else.

"Stop!" I yelled.

"Marry me and I will. You are scaring your people, if you marry me then they will be convinced you will not become a monster again."

"I can't! I won't! You'll hurt them even more if I let you and your brothers free."

The necklace all of the sudden tightened around my neck I felt it burning my flesh. I tried to pull it off, but I couldn't reach it. Estevan was too powerful.

"Stop controlling me," I seethed.

"I wouldn't have to if you would just obey. Sadly, I have to resort to crueler methods when you refuse."

I tried looking back down at the necklace, but I couldn't. "You said King Rowland trapped you down in that kingdom?"

"He did, sadly my father didn't even care for his own sons."

"Your father?" I asked. "How is that possible."

"My father was the king and wanted to live forever. He came close to finding the solution but never did. So on his deathbed, he cursed all his sons to be trapped underground, never aging, until we could get back onto the throne. King Rowland wanted us to continue his legacy and this was the only way. To curse us to live forever until a princess married one of us and thus restored us to the throne, and only that would break the curse. The only other drawback is that the portal to our kingdom only opens every hundred years."

"I'm sorry you had such a cruel father, but you don't have to be like him!"

"I'm nothing like him!"

Burn the village.

I wanted to scream and cry, but instead, fury raged through my veins. I whipped around to look at Estevan, mouth steaming. "How could you?" I sneered. "I would never hurt-"

"But you did," He interrupted, and patted my nose. "So obviously, you would. I honestly didn't know if you would go that far. Interesting."

"That was not me."

"If that makes your conscious feel better."

"Stop!" I roared. "Stop this now!"

My thoughts went to my sisters and family. I sincerely hoped that they were okay. Then I got an idea. Please work.

"My family will never forgive me for what I've done."

"Your family?" An evil glint filled his gleaming eyes. "Shall we test this further?"

I didn't have to fake the fear in my eyes. I didn't know if I was strong enough to resist him, but I knew that I would do anything to protect my sisters. At least, I hoped I would.