Chapter Thirty-Three: Julie

Julies POV

"I have to leave again, Julie," Peter said and he grabbed his coat and kissed my forehead. "But don't worry, I'll be back before... I'll be back."

I smiled. "I know, I know. Just be careful," I teased, giving him a hug. "Oh, and say hi to your friend for me."

I looked at his shocked face and smiled. "How did you know?" He grunted.

I rolled my eyes. "You always get so serious whenever you go with him, and you don't have many other places to go... Unless you're with him."

He grumbled. "I won't tell him," he said as he walked out the door.

"Yes you will," I called back impishly. 

I heard him mutter something before the door closed behind him. I let out a deep breath as I slumped down on our worn-down couch.

This isn't comfy at all! How does Peter sleep on it?  But I knew the answer. It's because he loves us too much. I sighed. I'm lucky to have him as a brother. 

Even if he lost us our possessions. I laughed but it soon turned into a cough.

"I can't just sit here all day while the rest of my family is out doing who knows what," I said to myself, suddenly getting a wave of motivation to do something. "I've been trapped in this house for too long."

I stood up, put my boots on, grabbed my cloak and gloves and looked out the window before deciding that I could do this. I was ready. I stepped out of the house and closed my eyes; feeling a light breeze and the morning sun for the first time in months.

Then I opened my eyes and skipped down the dirt path to the main dirt road that leads to town. We need some flour anyway. I speculated.

It was a beautiful day. I was smiling the whole way to town, trying to fix in my memory every flower and animal that crossed my sight. Then I saw a beautiful white flower growing on the side of the path, a lily, I remembered. I bent down to look at it closer. I bet mother would love to see this in the kitchen, I thought and tried to determine how long I wanted it. Then I felt the ground vibrate under me, but I pushed the feeling aside and started pulling on the flower. I unrooted it when all a sudden a big force pushed me out of the road and landed on top of me.

"What-" I started to say when a carriage passed by too close for comfort; right over the spot I had been just seconds before.

"Oh."

I looked up at the man who had just saved my life and I felt the corners of my mouth turn up as I saw bright green eyes staring back at me. I couldn't help but stare as I realized his scarf was around his neck and not covering his very handsome face. He had a strong jaw covered in whiskers, with messy, dark black hair that complemented his tan features.

"Sorry 'bout that... Ah, if it be the fair maiden, herself," he said grinning as he got off me and helped me up. "What you be doin' out of yer house?"

I brushed off my dress, not wanting him to see me blushing. "I was going to the market."

"Well, as it so happens, I'm suppose to meet yer brother there, I-"

"No!" I cried grabbing his arm. "I mean... I can make it by myself."

He smiled. "Yer brother don't know ye be here, do he?"

I looked down, wanting to disappear.

"It's okay," he said in a kind, smooth voice; different than his harsh, rough one. "He won't know if I don't tell him."

I looked up at him and saw he meant what he said. "If you want to walk me there, I'd appreciate it... I don't want to get ran over by any carriages."