Chapter Three: Ariadne

Ariadne's POV

"Pleased to meet your acquaintance." I turned my back against the bush and put my hands with the cookies behind me. I quickly felt Iris's little hands fold around the cookies and soon they were gone, leaving me with a bunch of crumbs.

"The pleasure is all mine," he said taking my cookie crumb hand and kissing it. "Would it be too bold to ask if you would give me the next-"

"My lady! I believe you promised me the next dance," Lord Tweedle interrupted grabbing my other hand with surprising strength for his thin frame.

"No, I-" I said looking back and forth at the two men.

How did Lord Tweedle have such impeccable timing?

"It's alright, as long as I can have the one after," Prince Wilson asked.

I smiled. "Yes, of course."

Then Lord Tweedle pulled me back to the dance floor to do a very complicated dance I'd only done twice before and tired us both very quickly.

"You... are... a marvelous... dancer," he said between breaths.

"Thank you... Could we... sit for a moment?"

He nodded and we passed the refreshments to a bench where Lord Tweedle told me about the time he rescued a dog from a stream, but I wasn't paying much attention because I saw Peter dancing with Lady Layton, but quickly looked away when his gaze came close to the spot I was at.

I should be happy for him; winning a dance with one of the most beautiful lady's in the kingdom. But something about them together didn't seem right.

"There you are, I thought I'd never find you," Prince Wilson said with a smile when the song ended.

"I'm glad you did," I said and smiled back.

I hoped he would be a nice distraction.

"Shall we?" He asked extending his hand.

"We shall," I said following him to the middle of the room.

The music started, and we began doing a nice slow dance.

"Ah, this is one of my favorites," the Prince said leading me through the steps very professionally. I felt as if I was a feather drifting through the wind, with my skirting flowing around me.

"Has anyone ever told you how beautiful you are?"

"A few times," I replied honestly.

"Well, I am delighted that I have the pleasure of dancing with such a magnificent creature. You are like a beautiful rose in full bloom, or a magical sunset creating a peaceful bliss over the land."

I felt my face redden even more. "Thank you, Prince Wilson."

"You are most welcome, Princess Ariadne."

I smiled as we continued dancing.

"So, is there a trick to beating the maze? I would so love the dance with you again," he whispered in my ear and I stopped dancing at his boldness.

I forced a laugh as the song ended. "You would not be the first man to ask me that tonight. And you will also not be the first that I deny having the information you need to complete the maze. I have not been inside the maze yet myself."

"Excuse me," Lady Layton interrupted. "Have you seen Lord Fairborne? I appear to have lost him."

I shook my head. "I'm sorry, maybe try the refreshments."