Chapter Forty-Eight: Peter

Peter's POV

"Ariadne," I tried to call, but my throat was coarse and dry.

 If only Estevan hadn't taken my sight, I didn't know if I could stand never seeing Ariadne's smile or the teasing look in her eye again. If Estevan survives this then he will pay. I thought bitterly.

But the worst torture had been seeing him kiss Ariadne. And not only kiss her but literally drain her. My fists clenched as I recalled it.

"Do you see her?" I asked the flying horse thing, I wasn't sure without being able to see it, but that's what it felt like. Gee this day had only gotten weirder, now I was talked to a flying horse.

"Peter," she sighed. That doesn't sound good. 

"She made me leave without her. She's still back there," her high voice replied in more of a whinny. Then I felt her wings beat faster.

"What's happening?" I asked, wishing my vision would clear, but knowing it wouldn't. Estevan had made sure of that. "We have to go back for her!"

"The explosion," she cried. "I don't think I can outfly it!"

I tightened my grip around her small neck. "We have to go get her."

"You'll be no use to her if you're burned and blind."

I grunted furiously, but I knew she was right.

"We're over the explosion now, I'll look for her."

Please let her be okay. Please let-

"I see her!" the horse neighed, but it turned to a scream as I felt a flaming wave envelop us, sending her crashing to the ground and me flying off her back.

I rolled around, ignoring the pain it caused, and waited for the heat to cool down. I didn't think I had any major burns, but it was hard to tell without being able to look at them.

"Amity! Are you okay?"

"I'm alright, go find Ariadne," she called behind me.

I didn't really know how I would find her, but I had to try. 

"Ariadne!" I cried, wishing that now more than ever I could see.

"Peter?" I heard her call somewhere to my left. Her voice sounded worse than mine did.

"Where are you?" I cried, crawling towards the sound of her voice.

"I'm over here," she answered in a raspy voice.

Then my hand hit something, and I reached out to touch it, realizing it was her shoulder. She was laying down on her stomach. Did that mean she was hurt?

"Are you alright?" I asked, finding her face with both of my hands.

She wrapped her hands around mine, but they felt blistered and really hot. "I think so, but I can't move."

I scrunched my eyebrows.

"Peter?" Ariadne said slowly, and I felt her hand touch my eyelids that I kept shut. I didn't want her to see the horrific state my eyes were in.

"Peter," her voice broke. "I'm so sorry, I've ruined everything."

"No." I pulled her to me. "I'm here, and you're here. That's all that matters. Estevan was just jealous of how perfect I was and tried to ruin it, but it will take more than my eyes to ruin these devilishly good looks."

I heard her laugh, but it turned into a sob.

"It's okay," I said pulling her tight, not believing that we both made it. We were okay.