Chapter 116

Nandini struggled fiercely against the stony voice in her head that was asking her not to delay the dreaded conversation she needed to have with Prithvi.

While she couldn't share the grisly details of her meeting with Priyamvada, she had to tell him – somehow make him understand - what Priyamvada's disclosures meant for them.

But once she did that, their lives would change permanently. And she desperately wanted to spend a little more time with Prithvi in a world where their love was not doomed to end up in an inferno of pain. She wanted to ask him about his childhood...his school years... his years abroad...his work. She wanted to talk to him about the ordinary parts of their lives that had rarely come up for discussion so far.

But even in that beautiful world, Priyamvada's blood runs through him, the voice reminded her maliciously.

Prithvi heard the mumbled sentence but a mental barrier seemed to stop him from registering them fully. There was also an irrational but fervent hope that if he didn't respond, she wouldn't say it again.

Nandini raised her head and gazed steadily into his shocked black eyes with a determination that was more frightening to her than to him.

She gently repeated, "I want to go to Janki aunty's house today."

The dismay on Prithvi's features asked his question louder than his voice could have.

"I thought seriously about what's you'd said last night," Nandini said uneasily in response to the silent query. "You were right about - about how it would be best if I don't stay here at this time. This is a complicated time for you...and your family and I should not – "

"It's because of my mother, isn't it? Because of what she did?" Prithvi cut in forcefully.

She did not feel flustered by the failure of her lie or angered by his refusal to abandon his suspicions. The flimsy justification had been a last–ditch effort to protect him. But it had not worked. Now she didn't have any choice apart from disclosing a part of the truth. The part that would eventually sound the death knell for their relationship.

Her heart was already shredded into bloodied fragments. And she was going to impose that same punishment upon him. It was cruel and unfair. But she had become a withered leaf that was at the mercy of a gale. The only difference was that, in her case, the gale originated from the murkiest regions of her own self...

Nandini moved back from him.

Feeling sick at heart, Prithvi let her go. It was hurting him to just look at her injuries, and he would do anything to make her feel better. It was obvious that she wanted to leave because of disturbing reasons related to his mother, and he was ready to escort her to the writer's house himself despite knowing that she would be taking all the light in his life along with her. First, though, he needed to know what had transpired earlier that morning. For now, the one thing he did know was that the repercussions were going to be disastrous.

As if sensing his turmoil, she placed her hands comfortingly on his upper arms, then gently said, "I'll tell you the real reason I want to leave. I don't know if you'll understand...but you have to try."

"I'll understand," Prithvi said quickly. He had sworn to change his behaviour with her and he would keep that promise regardless of the cost...

He wouldn't, Nandini thought wearily. Because among the devastating truths she had learnt this morning, she was going to use the one that had caused her the least grief to explain her decision. But she would have to stand her ground, and be strong enough to do what was best for both of them in the long run.