Chapter 133

Rajeshwari walked down a few steps, then paused. She turned to Nandini and whispered, "Your mother is talking to someone on the phone. We shouldn't disturb her now."

"It's okay, we can go downstairs and wait for her to finish the conversation," Nandini replied amiably.

"No, I don't wish to intrude," Rajeshwari said sombrely, ascending the stairs again. "Hmm...and I think I'll have a bath before going down."

"Okay, I'll switch on the geyser for you and start filling water in the bucket," Nandini said promptly, walking towards the bathroom. "Or you could use the shower too, but the -"

"Nandini, wait...I also need to speak with you about – about some things," Rajeshwari interrupted timidly. "Can we talk in your room?"

"Of course," Nandini nodded.

When they returned to the room, Rajeshwari sat down on the bed. Nandini walked to the table and turned the chair so that she could sit facing Rajeshwari.

"It's about Prithvi," Rajeshwari began hesitantly. "The thing is...I...I've never been able to keep any secrets from him. Actually, I've never really had to until now. But even if I try...I find it impossible to hide anything from him, and end up blurting whatever is on my mind. And when I see him today, I'm afraid I will do the same thing....and then I will not be able to face him ever again."

Her eyes filling with compassion, Nandini started to speak but Rajeshwari stalled her by saying, "No, wait. Don't say anything. Just listen to me. I'm telling you this because I need your help."

"Oh...what help do you need?" Nandini asked, attempting to sound undisturbed. If the situation had not involved Prithvi, she would have immediately pledged to help in whatever way she could without asking for details. But as matters stood...she was terrified of making any kind of commitment...

"After Prithvi comes here, you must be near me when he is around," Rajeshwari said nervously. "At least for two or three days. I'm not saying you should sit with me all the time. But just - just be in the room or somewhere close. It will help me because...I don't know why...but I feel stronger when I see you," she reflected wonderingly. "And I need to be strong to stop myself from telling him the truth. And...I'm sure he doesn't know anything yet, but that doesn't mean he will remain in the dark in the coming days. So, could you also please talk to him casually once or twice a day while he's here, and try to figure out if he has found out anything?" she begged anxiously.

Nandini stared her in shock, aghast at the request.

"I know...it's wrong of me to ask you to do this," Rajeshwari said remorsefully, believing that she knew the reason for Nandini's dismay. "But when you meet him today, you will understand that you have nothing to worry about," she guaranteed keenly. "And I promise...if he doesn't behave well or shows the slightest anger towards you, I will not make this request again."

The assurance did not placate Nandini. She was absolutely certain that Prithvi's behaviour with her would not seem discourteous to an onlooker. And then she would not have any excuse to give Rajeshwari. But then...she wouldn't really have to do anything, Nandini realised with a mix of guilt and relief. Rajeshwari didn't know that Prithvi was already aware of what had happened. So, she would merely have to pretend to talk to him, and then she could reassure Rajeshwari that everything was fine, Nandini thought uncomfortably. It was deceit. But it was the only way Rajeshwari – and she - could be at peace...

"Okay, I'll do it," Nandini said with a weak smile. She refrained from pointing out that this was not a long-term solution. It would not serve any purpose apart from aggravating Rajeshwari's nervousness.