Chapter 123

Standing in the shadows of a pillar, Haimavati kept a reverential watch over the two people strolling across the huge, green lawn. She had to be ready to rush to them if Priyamvada felt ill, though it was unlikely...

Priyamvada's health had improved by leaps and bounds in a short span of time. Her weight was increasing steadily and her face was to beginning to fill out, gradually erasing the haggardness from the features. She was taking her medicines on time, and was following the doctor's instructions. The sole concern was that, at a mental and emotional level, Priyamvada was not yet stable, and she still suffered from sudden attacks of fears, anxieties, and hallucinations. But that never happened when Prithvi was with her.

A son like him was the result of several lifetimes of meritorious actions, Haimavati mulled lovingly. It was unfortunate that he was being slightly reserved with his own mother because of some common, undeserving girl. Yes, the girl had helped find Priyamvada, and there were some unusual coincidences associated with her, but hadn't she and her father also created a lot of problems for Prithvi's family? Still, it was admirable that he wasn't letting any problems come in the way of his responsibilities.

Priyamvada would eventually show her son the error of his ways and bring him under her control. And when the time was right, she would choose for him a life partner who was worthy of him, Haimavati contemplated with satisfaction.

She tried to observe their expressions, and wondered what they were talking about at the moment...

************************************

Walking at a sedate pace, Prithvi listened to his mother talk warmly about her childhood. He didn't glance at her often, and preferred to gaze at the blooming flowerbeds in the verdant lawn. There were many herb plants too, including the holy basil...

His mother was talking about the countries she had visited by herself and with his father, her favourite childhood hobby of horse-riding, and the beautiful horses she had owned in the past. She'd spoken extensively about her childhood over the past week. He personally preferred to hear her talk about his father, because it was solely during those times that he couldn't detect any undercurrent of malice or manipulation in her behaviour.

Since many days, however, he had been waiting during these conversations for his mother to broach the actual issues on her mind. He had an idea of what she wanted to say, and he was hoping against hope that he was wrong...

She had been circling around the main matter till yesterday, dropping hints here and there. The explosives were going to be launched in his direction during this conversation. That was clear from the subtle change in her attitude. She sounded more commanding and confident this morning, secure in her belief that he was unaware of the web she had woven.

He didn't have to wait for long. Post a little more inconsequential talk, the first grenade came his way.

"Prithvi, I was thinking...after Indrajit recovers enough to move about comfortably, would it be possible for us to go abroad for some time?" Priyamvada requested gently. "Perhaps about three months? Rajeshwari will also accompany us. I want to visit the US, and some places in Europe – Germany, Ireland, Croatia...all the places I'd visited during happier days. Maybe meet old friends. I think it will help...my mind," she added delicately.

And put considerable physical distance between me and Nandini, Prithvi mulled jadedly.

He could bet his life that their stay abroad was not going to wrap up in three months. But the trip wasn't going to happen for a while. He had time to remove the blocks that had come up in Nandini's mind against him and their relationship. After he had done that, he wouldn't mind going anywhere temporarily. The physical distance could be endured if he knew that she was holding him close emotionally...