Chapter 113

In a large hall that was at a good distance from her suite, Priyamvada courteously said, "I apologise for summoning you so early in the day, Sumer."

"I'm always at your service, Your Highness," Sumer Singh replied respectfully, standing ramrod-straight and keeping his eyes lowered. "And I should be the one offering apologies for not obeying your command yesterday and -"

"I know. And you did the right thing by giving precedence to Prithvi's commands over mine. But do inform me if our instructions are clashing," Priyamvada said without rancour.

Her attitude didn't give any indication of how unsettled she'd been on discovering that, after escorting her to the room post dinner, Prithvi had gone to meet Sumer Singh and Kadambari and insisted that they should retire for the night. Then he had gone to Uday Singh to check on his health. She could understand her son's concern for the three individuals. But he had shown the same consideration for the other servants too and had given clear-cut instructions that no one should be on duty for more than eight or nine hours. Some other instances too pointed to major flaws in Prithvi's nature...

"I will do that in the future, Your Highness," Sumer Singh assured.

"Good. Sumer, I have two tasks for you," Priyamvada said slowly. "One - I want you to write down everything that happened from the time you took Prithvi from Devgarh to...yesterday. You can take as many days as you need. But the journal must contain every detail about the life he has led after – after I left. I know you may not recall the small things. But please write down whatever you do remember."

She had woken up at three in the night, her sleep ruined by some dreams in which she'd struggled to explain to Aditya why she'd not visited Indrajit, and others in which she'd been incapable of answering questions about Prithvi. Sleep had not been possible after that.

The strange demand did not faze Sumer Singh. Prithvi had prepared him for this discussion. He peacefully said, "You will receive the journal within a week, Your Highness."

"Thank you. Now, I want an overview of the years he spent in your care – and his personality. Tell me everything about my son's personal life and nature," Priyamvada demanded. "His temperament, habits, and traits. His likes and dislikes. His friendships and other relationships. His years in school and college. His studies and hobbies. His talents and his failings. Be honest. I want to know the good and the bad. This is your second task. And you have my permission to refer to my son by his name," she added swiftly, not wishing to spend the next hour listening to him fumble.

Sumer Singh felt slightly unsettled this time. The second task loomed before him like an insurmountable mountain. How and where should he start talking about the person that Prithvi was... It would be easier for him to describe the evolution of mankind.

Priyamvada noted with shock that Sumer Singh's eyes were moist.

"Prithvi is - has always been...extraordinary," he began quietly.

Three-quarters of an hour later, the tears had relocated to Priyamvada's eyes. Ferocious pride and elation were only a small reason for her emotional reaction. The main cause was a stabbing anguish that her husband had been deprived of the opportunity to see Prithvi grow up to become such a magnificent young man and rejoice in the continuous stream of his glorious triumphs.

Aditya would have been the happiest and proudest man on earth to have a son like Prithvi. A son so gifted and brilliant that he was pursuing a doctorate at the age of twenty ...so talented at extracurricular activities he had never tasted defeat in a contest and had won gold medals for his country in international competitions several times... and so capable and skilled that he was already earning the sort of money that was only seen by professionals in the top echelons of powerful companies.