Chapter 121

Priyamvada's stillness fully camouflaged the fact that her mind was speeding recklessly along multiple routes. It had gone berserk since a couple of hours....to be more precise, since Prithvi had informed her that Rajeshwari had come to the palace earlier in the day and would be staying with them henceforth. The news had disturbed her so badly that she had forgotten to be worried about the looming menace of the Bharadwaj family's curses.   

Now she couldn't let go of a burning anger and couldn't reveal it either. She had already caused a major disaster this morning. And despite his continued gentleness, she knew her actions had enraged her son and had led to heartbreak for him. She didn't want to be the cause of any more hurt for Prithvi. But how could she endure the knowledge that the worthless offspring of her despicable brother was living in the same palace as her...

Why had she not expressed her true sentiments during the talk? She couldn't have shown the rage she had felt, of course. But she could easily have explained to Prithvi that Rajeshwari could not stay with them. Why hadn't she done so...

Priyamvada recreated the conversation – and the events leading up to it - in her head again...seeking an explanation for her failure to speak her mind...

A while before the conversation, she had gone through a medical examination conducted by the doctor hired specifically for her. She had also undergone two tests with the portable medical equipments that had originally been brought to the palace for Indrajit. Blood tests and a couple of other major examinations were scheduled for the next two days. Nevertheless, as per reliable sources, the doctor had assured Prithvi that he didn't have to be unduly worried about her health.

After they had returned to the suite, they'd had a quiet, early dinner. Then once she'd settled into bed, her son had sat near her and told her about the tests that needed to be done over the next two days. She had agreed reluctantly to go through the ordeal.

And then, after a small pause, he had said...

******************************

About two hours ago

"Your father might arrive by tonight," Prithvi said casually. "Haimavati will reach tomorrow."

The information about her father astounded Priyamvada. She had anticipated a waiting period of at least a day. "Father will reach tonight? How is that possible? Devgarh is far away from here."

"He isn't in Devgarh right now," Prithvi explained briefly. "He's somewhere closer."

Priyamvada mulled over the news for a moment. She felt inordinately pleased to know that her father was desperate to meet her. Should she meet him today itself? Wouldn't it be a nice show of power to make him stew till tomorrow? Unexpectedly, however, her heart rebelled at the idea. 

Priyamvada suddenly realised that she didn't want to wait for an extra minute to meet her father...

"Oh...alright...I want to see him as soon as he arrives," she told her son keenly.

After a difficult moment, Prithvi lightly said, "Of course, Maa." Then in the same tone, he added, "I need to tell you something else. Rajeshwari arrived today. She will be staying with us now onwards."

Priyamvada heard him, but the announcement took its time to penetrate her mind. And when it did, wrath and shock swept through her. But she kept her reactions under control with gruelling effort. If she behaved as she wanted, her son would probably have her shut up in an asylum. She had to pretend to be as self-possessed as he was.