Chapter 131

Prithvi strolled absentmindedly along the empty path, a backpack slung across his right shoulder and a large duffel bag in his left hand.

He would have reached Shamli last night itself, but he had taken a detour to help a stranded couple. And to make up for the lost time, he had flouted Sumer Singh's strictest instruction yet again and had not halted at night.

He had intended to take a long nap upon arriving at the house. But now, though he was excessively fatigued, it seemed unlikely that he would be able to sleep, Prithvi thought resignedly. It would be a better use of his time to visit the hotel and get the whole story from Disha. He would freshen up and set off immediately...

His pace slowed as Vrindavan and Ayodhya came into view. He smiled slightly, and strode towards the houses with a little more swiftness.

When he reached Ayodhya's gate, he paused to gaze with affection at the twin houses. Despite the disturbance he had encountered on the way, the first sight of the houses had elevated his mood by many notches.

It felt as though he was inhaling fresh, beautifully perfumed air after having spent a thousand years in a prison cell located in the earth's bowels.

Prithvi opened the gate and entered the courtyard. It seemed to have become a replica of the one outside Vrindavan. He took the house keys from underneath the thriving rose plant, and opened the door. Then he brought his backpack and duffel bag into the house and closed the doors very lightly.

Prithvi stood motionless in the living room for a few minutes. Then he removed his boots, and proceeded to walk idly through the ground floor. Although he was lost in memories, he didn't fail to notice that all the rooms looked inordinately clean and well-maintained.

Growing more preoccupied, Prithvi took his bags and went upstairs, where his room proved to be even more spotless than the rest of the house. There wasn't a speck of dust on the furniture or any musty smells in the room. In fact, there was a lingering fragrance that was strangely relaxing...

Annoyance flickered upon Prithvi's face.

He kept both his bags on the wooden table in the room and opened the duffel bag to take out a set of clothes.

A short time later, he had showered and changed and was ready to leave. He walked to the table to get his other phone from his backpack, but then his distracted gaze fell on the view from the windows.

He gazed at the woods for some time. Then he walked to the bed and sat down tiredly.

The room definitely had a soporific effect. The drowsiness that had fled was returning with interest now.

He lay down on the bed, hands linked behind his head. The elusive fragrance in the room was concentrated here...

Slowly, a deep tranquility settled over him, and he could no longer keep his eyes open...

In sleep, he rolled instinctively onto his stomach, mainly because it was the position that he found most comfortable...and partly out of a subconscious need to be closer to the sweetest scent he had ever inhaled...

******************************

Nandini marched hurriedly towards the temple, oblivious to the pain in her legs and soles. Her shawl was in her hands now because she was perspiring.

This was not how she customarily made this trip every Friday.

It was her usual practice to walk slowly, keeping the image of the divine mother in her mind and chanting sacred prayers internally. After the darshan, she would spend half an hour in the temple premises, soaking in the beautiful atmosphere. The entire experience invariably filled her with tremendous peace and comfort.