Chapter 136

Nandini touched her grandfather's feet, and her brother did the same once she had moved to a side. Bhoothnath smilingly gave his grandchildren side-hugs.

Watching them with bemusement, Prithvi doubtfully asked Bhoothnath, "Just how many years have you been away?"

Prakash grinned in embarrassment, while Nandini only smiled faintly at her chortling grandfather while taking the small, light cotton bag off his shoulder.

She had felt deeply moved by the sheer sweetness of what she had witnessed moments ago, and was also overcome by guilt that it was because of her that Prithvi had stayed away from Shamli for so long. In addition, she was slightly confused by the shadow that had fallen briefly on her grandfather's face. Or had she imagined it because of her own strange mental state...

Prakash gleefully asked, "So how was the surprise, grandpa? And Mochi bhaiya?"

"They are too stunned to express their feelings right now," Prithvi answered seriously, an arm coiled tightly around the neck of his overwhelmed friend. He stretched his other hand to pat Bhoothnath's head affectionately. "But you just have to look at this hair. It has fainted into a neat pile because of happiness."

Bhoothnath chuckled. Then he eagerly asked, "When did you reach? I thought you were on a holiday in the mountains."

"I was, but some work came up, so I had to return," Prithvi replied nonchalantly. "And I thought of working from here, so I could meet all of you. It was a good surprise that Rai was here too."

"It was destined that both of you should visit us at the same time," Bhoothnath proclaimed happily. "How are you, my boy? How is your family? Sumer, and your Choti maa and your brother -"

"I get the gist," Prithvi said dryly. "All of them are fine."

Nandini looked at her grandfather uncertainly. Glad as she was that Priyamvada had not been mentioned, it was strange that her grandfather had not asked about that woman first...

Feeling someone's gaze on her, Nandini glanced around and found Sankatmochan staring at her with gradually widening eyes, as if he had just recalled something of importance. His eyes swung to Prithvi, and then back to her.

All of a sudden, her wish to surprise him and her grandfather did not seem very wise...

The hand that was around Sankatmochan's neck moved to his jawline and scrunched up his plump face like it was a squishy ball, and moved it from side to side.

"I'm just feeling so affectionate towards him," Prithvi said fondly.

The display of friendly warmth evoked smiles from everyone except Nandini, who winced. She was aware of the reason for the 'affection', and that the gesture, which looked very cute, was actually painful.

Prithvi released his friend's face and anxiously asked, "Is your face hurting, Mochi?"

Careful to look anywhere except at Nandini, Sankatmochan shook his head with a grimace-like smile while rubbing his cheeks. "No, not at all," he croaked. He'd understood what his friend wanted him to know, and he would try to avoid repeating the mistake. But his excitement had peaked to an all-time high moments ago, and he wasn't sure how successful he would be...

In the midst of being relieved for Sankatmochan - and about his reactions, Nandini's gaze was drawn to Vrindavan. Smiling, she hurried to the house.

Prithvi unconsciously watched her leave, and realised she was heading towards Rajeshwari, who was standing uncertainly at Vrindavan's doors, looking extremely anxious and timid.