Chapter 130

The amusement on Priyamvada's face lessened by half. "Your family has still not taught you how to speak to your elders," she remarked with a faint sneer.

"They taught me how to behave with humans and other creatures of this earth. They didn't have the knowledge to explain how I must interact with demons," Nandini said amiably. "I learnt that from experience after meeting you."

Priyamvada's features tautened . "Delightful as it is to witness proof of your ghastly upbringing, I must ask you to leave," she commanded harshly. "You're intruding on a family discussion."

"Family matters should be discussed in the privacy of the home," Nandini said flatly. "Not in a hotel."

Priyamvada feigned admiration. "I'm surprised you have the sense to know that." Then she glanced at Rajeshwari, and a mask that had been worn with difficulty for some minutes slid off. There had been controlled anger and disdain in Priyamvada's eyes as she gazed at Nandini. Those sentiments mutated into the deepest disgust and rage as she looked at her niece.

"Ideally, yes. That is how it should be. But you see...I prefer to catch people red-handed when they're about to defile the family's name through their perverted plans," Priyamvada said very softly.

As Rajeshwari cringed, Nandini impassively said, "The only person in this room who is capable of making those sorts of plans is you. And in case you didn't know, your family's name was defiled the day you were born."

Priyamvada looked at Nandini malevolently, and said, "When I look at you, I only see an annoying insect that refuses to learn from the past. It makes me wonder...why is it that you are trying to risk whatever peace you have in your pathetic life by annoying me over a matter that has nothing to do with you?" she pondered sardonically. "Do you think you will create a space for yourself in Rajeshwari's life and win her affection by pretending to stand by her for altruistic reasons? And that will create a path that will lead to Prithvi? Tell me, Nandini, are you still holding a candle for my son?" she enquired with an amused smile.

Nandini smiled back thinly. "If I'm holding a candle, it's only with the dream of burning you alive with it."

Fury sparked in Priyamvada's eyes. "You expect me to believe you had no ulterior motives for approaching Rajeshwari in the market that day? And for agreeing to host her without knowing the purpose of her stay? Yes, your best friend here has told me everything," she taunted.

"We see the world as we are," Nandini said serenely. "That is why you expect cheap, psychopathic behaviour from everyone."

Priyamvada's fingers clenched on the arms of the chair. But then she looked furiously at her niece. "Rajeshwari, stop clinging to her like a creeper and stand straight," she ordered tersely. "Is this how the women of our family are supposed to behave? Have I taught you nothing?"

Wincing, Rajeshwari obeyed the order. She moved away from Nandini and stood facing her enraged aunt.

"Your family traditions are interesting," Nandini said bitingly. "The women must not seek support when they are in pain. But it is an act of great honour to be a sadistic bitch towards your own niece?"

Priyamvada struggled madly to control a raging wrath. Then her face turned blank, and she rose slowly from the chair

"You seem determined to make an enemy out of me," she said meditatively. "Fortunately for you, I have no interest in your childish games. My opponents need to have at least a tiny bit of importance in my life. You don't qualify. Because the day I realised my son no longer cares a whit for you, you ceased to be of interest to me. You're aware of how he responded when Rajeshwari asked him if she could be in touch with you. Did you understand its significance?" she enquired. "Or did it give you hope? If it did, I must disabuse of you of any misconceptions. You see...anger, sadness, hurt...even hate...the presence of any one of these emotions suggests that a...romantic attachment still exists. But indifference...indifference is the end of the story," she said softly. "It signals the complete annihilation of love. It doesn't leave any room for hope. You aren't even a chapter in my son's life anymore, Nandini. For Prithvi, you are just a cancelled footnote, which was trivial and stupid to begin with. So, these efforts you're putting in for Rajeshwari...they will go to waste."