Chapter 129

Priyamvada gazed at the flames crackling in the fireplace, untangling as well as knotting certain threads in her mind.

She heard someone gently ask, "Mother, are you okay?""

Priyamvada looked up and smiled at a worried Indrajit. "Yes, I am," she assured, and gestured at a nearby armchair. "Sit beside me, Indrajit."

Indrajit sat down tentatively.

"Prithvi's flight has landed?" Priyamvada asked casually.

Indrajit murmured, "Yes, Sumer Singh was present at the airport. He and Kadambari are on their way to Devgarh. He will drop her there and return to our great-uncle's palace. Prithvi has left for the cabin."

"For how long this time?"

"Not more than a month," Indrajit said quickly. Then he awkwardly added, "I don't know why he didn't -"

"You don't have to feel guilty about what he did, Indrajit," Priyamvada said softly. "I was prepared for the possibility."

But wasn't entirely true. Despite her previous experiences, she had foolishly hoped that Prithvi would travel with her this time. And then her son had indifferently informed her of his plans an hour before leaving for the airport.

"He has asked me to look after you well during the journey," Indrajit said intently.

Priyamvada was touched by the emotions behind the lie. She stretched out a hand to touch his forearm. "You will visit me in Devgarh?"

Indrajit nodded emphatically. "Yes, Mother, I will."

How strange was her life, Priyamvada reflected. She could never have imagined that a day would come when her own flesh and blood would become a cause of never-ending pain, and the child whose existence had irked her once upon a time would become a source of constant solace...

*********************************

Jittery with tension, Rajeshwari peered at the dishes on the dining table in the big chamber that adjoined the living room. She'd developed a keen interest in food over the years, but today, the delicious scents were not calming her down.

"Prithvi didn't tell you at what time he would arrive?" she asked Disha again, sitting down at the table. She had tried to get in touch with him to find out, but her calls had not gone through.

Disha patiently said, "No, your highness, but I think he should be here any minute now."

"Okay. You've told the staff, haven't you? That they shouldn't tell him about Nandini," Rajeshwari said anxiously.

"Yes, everyone is aware, your highness."

"Okay, that's good," Rajeshwari muttered.

She only had to be careful for a short time because Prithvi had said he intended leave within an hour. Still, it was typical of her perennial bad luck that Prithvi would pay her a visit the very next day after she had chitchatted with Nandini for hours like they were best friends. But she was grateful that he had not made it a complete surprise as he usually did, and had informed her in advance. Nevertheless, it was saddening to think that, if not for the meeting with Nandini, she would have been overjoyed to know that Prithvi was on his way.

She should have guessed that Prithvi would not travel with the rest of the family. He hadn't done it for about three years now. She didn't know why...but he either left a few days before or after. However, he always took her, Uday Singh, Kadambari and Sumer Singh along with him. He was about four years younger than her...yet, apart from the fun-filled teasing, he looked after her like a father.