new pain

It was easy to fall into a routine. Jennie was sure of that.

Each and every day, she would do light chores in the morning, read pregnancy books around midday, yoga classes in the afternoon, and Jisoo's "fuck-you-whore-slut-dirty-pussy" drama in the evening when she got home from work.

It was a burden in the beginning. Jisoo had thrown a considerable amount of weight on her shoulders. Emotional baggage, but Jennie thought she knew better. Hate was Jisoo's defense mechanism. A wall that prevents her from falling into the unknown abyss. So Jennie took it all.

She understood Jisoo all too well. Remove the wall of hatred, was a woman questioning the unfair treatment of her husband. Jennie could never return Jisoo's hatred. Hate was all too easy, forgiveness, love, and understanding took courage. She could easily take away the hate from Jisoo by telling it, but she would be forced to deal with the pain. Jennie didn't want that. Her pain was her own, she could never bestow that upon a widowed wife.

"I don't think this fits well. It's loose around this area." Jennie was standing in front of a mirror, holding the dress Joohyun had bought for her. She pointed to her belly, growing for the past five months now.

"It will soon, Nini." Joohyun excitedly said. She and Joohyun definitely found common ground on motherhood and pregnancy matters. Jennie was glad an ounce of her time was allotted for Joohyun. Another thing was the nickname she gave her, 'Nini'. Jennie loved it. 'Jen' had a string of memories in the past that she did not want to ponder on.

Eventually they ended up buying more clothes than the one dress Joohyun promised her. She also bought pillows and mattresses for comfort.

Jennie's heart warmed. Maybe staying with Jisoo in New York wasn't entirely hell, after all.

"When are you going to the doctor to learn of the gender?"

She and Joohyun were grabbing some lunch. Jennie placed some sauce in her salad, eating the stray lettuce on the corner of her plate. "Next week."

Dr. Boruch called Jennie last night and informed her that the gender of the baby is already recognisable at this stage of pregnancy. Both of them immediately scheduled an appointment the week after. Jennie was beyond elated to know the gender.

"I can't wait!" Joohyun clapped her hands. "I cried the moment I learned our baby is a boy." She stroked her belly, eyeing it lovingly.

Jennie laughed. "I can imagine."

Joohyun looked at her watch and her eyes went wide. "Oh! I almost forgot I am supposed to visit my best friend at her office!" She finished her food at once and stood up, taking Jennie with her. "Why don't you come with me? I'll be saddened to leave you alone in your house."

"Are you sure? I don't want to be a nuisance."

"Nonsense! She's the sweetest woman I have ever known!"

"What's her name?" Jennie asked quietly, holding the sling of her bag while walking to the car. Before entering the passenger's seat on the opposite car on side, Joohyun flashed her bright smile.

"Kim Jisoo."

***

Jennie had not known the true definition of uncomfortable until the moment she stepped into Jisoo's office. The taller woman wore her spectacles, her hair tied in a high ponytail, and her business attire all neat and fit on her body. Jennie had never admitted to anyone, but Jisoo looked beautiful.

In that speck of time, Jennie took her time in observing Jisoo. The way she would put her glasses back in their rightful position whenever they would fall down her nose. The way she would tuck the strands of loose hair to the back of her ear. The way her fingers would move across the table after she wrote something. The way her chest would rise and fall after exhaling. In another lifetime, Jennie dreamt she wasn't the mistress, and Jisoo wasn't the wife, what would happen then? If she hadn't hidden the truth from Jisoo, maybe, they could fall in-- no, Jennie shook the thoughts away. Jisoo hated her. That was the right thing.