chapter 14

sorry.

...

Love.

It's a complicated concept.

What is love?

According to Wikipedia it is an 'intense feeling of deep affection.'

But that's just one, simplistic way of looking at it. It's so much more complex than that, but it's also so much more simple than that. 

Love is emotional, yet physical. Love comes slowly, and all of a sudden. Love comes creeping up behind you, and it's in front of you. Love is evil, and love is kind. It's patient. It's wonderful, and amazing, yet it can break your heart easier than anything.

Love is bigger than you are. You can invite love, but you cannot dictate how, when, and where love expresses itself. You can choose to surrender to love or not, but in the end, love strikes like lightning: unpredictable and irrefutable. You can even find yourself loving people you don't like at all. Love does not come with conditions, stipulations, or codes. Like the sun, love radiates independently of our fears and desires.

Love is inherently free. It cannot be bought, sold, or traded. You cannot make someone love you, nor can you prevent it — not for any amount of money. Love cannot be imprisoned, nor can it be legislated. Love is not a substance, not a commodity, not even a marketable power source. Love has no territory, no borders, no quantifiable mass or energy output.

One can buy loyalty, companionship, attention, and perhaps even compassion, but love itself cannot be bought. An orgasm can be bought, but love cannot. It comes, or not, by grace, of its own will and in its own timing, subject to no human's planning.

Love cares what becomes of you, because love knows that we are all interconnected. Love is inherently compassionate and emphatic. Love knows that the "other" is also oneself. This is the true nature of love, and love itself cannot be manipulated or restrained. Love honours the sovereignty of each soul. Love is its own law.

But what would I know about love? I'm just a narrator; a figment of your mind. But anyone, even a figure of your imagination can tell you that our Chaeyoung loves Jennie, and our Jennie loves Chaeyoung. But it's too soon, right? Nobody can fall in love that quickly, correct? 

Well one other thing I can tell you about love, well, this specific love, is that it's cliché. Cliché in all the good, and all the bad ways, but I'll get onto that lovely. What we have between our dearest Chaeyoung and Jennie is called 'love at first sight.' The most cliché of them all.

Remember this:

 "And I am not going to hook up with a girl, Lisa, I am straight."

"So are noodles before they get wet," the youngest winks at her older friend.

"Um, sorry to interrupt. Here's your cake and one cappuccino," Jennie looks up at the sudden interruption in her conversation to see the waitress serving them. She feel her mouth dry at the sight of the girl above them. Jennie can't help but notice how beautiful the woman in front of her is, her tummy flipping a little.

And when she does the next thing she blames it on the tiredness - she's not in her right state of mind.

"That's a-okay," Jennie says enthusiastically, standing up with a bright, gummy smile on her face, and banging her knee on the table. "Ow," she winces, holding her knee when she sit back down even quicker than she stood up.