chapter 19

"Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" A little boy runs through the living room and upstairs to the room he's gotten to know as 'The Cuddle Fort', as Chaeyoung dubbed it months ago. "Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!" He finds said Mommy just waking up from probably her first nap since he was born three years ago. "Oop, sorry," he starts to back out of the room, and his Mommy peeks open her eye just slightly so she can see him take small steps back, which reminds her of Chaeyoung. 

"Bubs," Jennie whispers, which catches her son's attention, which frightens the life out of the poor child so he falls to the carpet floor. "Come here, bubs," she laughs softly as he scrambles to his feet and jumps onto the bed next to her. "How was your day with Momma?"

"Great! We had pizza and milkshakes, and went to the park and then Momma thought she was gonna throw up her pizza and milkshakes so I stopped pushing her on the swings. But it was okay because I was tired anyway so we just sat on the grass and watched all the doggies," he explains very quickly, and at the end he takes a deep breath. "Can we get a doggy?"

"But we already have two, bubs," Jennie giggles at her son's innocent face. "Do you not love Kuma and Kai?"

"Yeah... KuKu's so fluffy and Kai likes to cuddle," he smiles at the thought of the two family dogs. "Can we get a new one soon though? I wanna name it Cookie."

"In a few years bubs," Jennie kisses her son on the forehead as he yawns after his fun filled day. "Wanna take a nap?" Usually it would be hard to persuade him to take one, but somehow she thought it would be easy today.

He nods and snuggles closer to his Mom, his head tucked under her chin. Jennie runs her fingers through his wavy, brown hair and places a kiss on the top of his head. "Sweet dream bubs."

"Mommy," he says softly, basically asleep. "I wanted to ask you something before?"

"What is it?"

He yawns again and probably falls asleep for a few seconds, which makes Jennie laugh. But his question actually shocks her for a while - she expected him to ask for a dog again, or for some cookie dough ice cream like his other mother. "What's a soulmate?" He asks before explaining where he learnt that phrase. "Momma said you're her soulmate," and Jennie knows he's fallen asleep, but she explains it to him anyway.

"A soulmate is someone you love forever, no matter what. Your soulmate doesn't have to be the love of your life, it can just be your best friend. And even if they're gone, they're still with you because they always have a place in your heart. It's like you're connected in someway, by a string or something. A way that I can't even explain bubs. I guess it's like the cream in the Oreo that connects the two cookies," she tells her sleeping son, proud of her analogy that he may understand. "Your Momma is my other Oreo cookie. And I'm very lucky to have found my best friend and love of my life in my Oreo."

She's surprised when a little voice peeps up again. "I thought I was your best friend."

"Of course bub. Your Momma is my second best friend," she laughs and resumes stroking his hair to put him to sleep again. "Sleep well my sweet Daniel."

She looks towards the door to see her wife standing in the doorway smiling at her and Daniel lovingly, with a small smile.

God she's so glad to have found her soul-

Ding...

Ding...

Ding...

DING! DING! DING! DING! DING!

"God damnit!" Jennie screams, throwing her phone off the nightstand across the room, smushing her face in her pillow.