Last Day

I bumped my head in the wall behind us laughing so hard at Natasha's story. I couldn't even breathe let alone control my movement. My accident made us burst out in even more breathless chuckles.

"Ouch..." I felt the bump forming on the back of my head. That's not going away anytime soon.

"I swear that's how it happened!" Natasha muttered while catching her breath.

"And you didn't get caught by Rumlow?" I asked again in disbelief.

"Nope, they were completely clueless! I think we made quite a convincing couple, me and Steve," she said and took a swing from the bottle of scotch whiskey we stole from Tony's liquor stash in the kitchen cupboard.

"Did you use to like him?" I asked raising up my right eyebrow at her.

She shook her head dreamily. I don't think she was too certain of her answer. "I never had time for that, you know. We were only on a mission, I swear! Besides, it's not me that hasn't been kissed since 1945!" She let out a small hiccup after that which got us to giggle stupidly again.

We were sitting next to eachother on my bed for a few hours now, leaning on the gray painted wall behind us. Since our departure was gonna take place sooner than expected we wanted to make the most of our last night. And that included emptying countless bottles of liquor. I didn't think Nat was the one to take such strong drinks, but hey, she was russian afterall. At first we couldn't think of anything to talk about but thematics started dropping in as soon as we stopped thinking that we're gonna part and started questioning eachother of entertaining events that took place before our reunion. Natasha of course had many more than I did, but I didn't mind since the best ones included the Avengers. I liked hearing about how they all met eachother when Loki made his big entrance in New York or about Nat's first encounter with Tony a while back when she had to cover her identity as an agent and pretend she was a personal assistant. I realized I've never met Tony's spouse, Pepper, before. Thinking about that made me wonder what kind of tolerance she had to have to put up with someone like Tony. I smirked. She had to be one hell of a woman.

"So what was your funniest mission moment?" she then tilted her head to my direction, "I bet Bucky couldn't always keep up the stiff soldier game, could he?"

I scoffed and looked down at my legs that were spread out straight forward in front of me. "Believe me, he was very good at that." I didn't intend my tone to sound so.. monotone and depressing, but that's really something I couldn't deny. It's not like me and Bucky had much relaxation time on our missions. And I didn't want to tell her about that night that occured a while back, either.

"Surely there had to be something," she proceeded.

I thought about it. I had to think really hard and search every box of my memory room to remember a funny interaction that happened between the two of us. I could tell her about how he'd sometimes miss a shot or failed to hit me when we sparred and instead of saying any of our modern curse words used lingo from the forties like 'fudge' or 'holy cow'. But compared to her stories of the past that didn't seem much fun. I thought about telling her how he once had to stitch a wound on my hip and went red like a lobster when I exposed a part of my side to him. Or how we had to blend in the crowd to reach a certain person to take out and a lady in ripped clothing on the side of the sideblock started hitting on him. He payed little attention to the woman who appeared to be a hooker, so she started using her flirting skills on me.

A small smirk appeared on my lips. I guess some funny things happened as well as regretful ones, but that didn't change the fact that our missions were always for the bad side. Natasha's work usually ended in a successful ending in which she'd safe lives of many. I instead only threatened or killed people.