Checkmate

"Are you sure you want to do this? My guess is he won't exactly be expecting you." Natasha asked me as she waited for me leaning on the doorframe of my room at the Avengers compound.

"I have to. If not anything else, I need him to know that I don't blame him for anything." I stated firmly.

"Will you really leave all this behind? Leave Sam, your family, me? For him?" I heard her voice break midsentence.

I faced her and saw her glimmering eyes. I pulled her into a tight hug. Her arms wrapped around my back and I had a feeling she needed this hug more than she knew. I wasn't much taller than her but just enough so that if I got on my tiptoes I could rest my chin on her forehead.

"Clint offered to take care for Aida while Vadim insisted on staying at the compound. I'm sure you'll make him into a superhero," I sobbed, "I talked to Sam and he understands what I need to do. As for you Nat," I backed away and held her face in my palms, "you'll always be my best and dearest friend."

"When will you come back?" Her voice was muffled by the tears dripping down her cheeks.

"I don't know, Nat. Probably not anytime soon. But trust me that someday, somehow, I'll see you again."

She returned to my arms and hugged me once more. I felt the connection between us and will forever be grateful of how special our friendship was to both of us. No matter the time passed or the circumstances under which we meet, we will always care for eachother. It's a special bond not many people have.

But I had another calling.

-

I was walking the streets of Bucharest once again. It was raining.

The familiar scents were coming back to me and I held a strange feeling of being at home. It was weird knowing that I was feeling the happiest I ever was and probably will be in this town only a few days ago. So much has happened in between those days, not to mention most of my family were resting in what I could only hope was peace. I wished serenity even for Garry who, even if will always be despised with all my heart, was still my father.

I was glad it was all over. I could finally walk the streets without someone on my tail tracking my every move. The feeling of freedom after which I longed for for such a long time was finally given to me. I just wanted to share it with someone else. Someone specific and very dear to me.

I entered the house which remained a wreckage from the last time I've seen it. The van tipped over was still there, most of the front wall was completely broken apart. I smirked to myself as I saw fresh mud trailing up the stairs, leading to the bedrooms which previously belonged to my family members and were now only a sanctuary to any by-passers or mice that could enter the building. But I knew who was occupating it as we speak.

I trailed the wooden staircase fence, or what was left of it, with my fingers as I climbed up the broken stairs and reached the hallway. I could already see his posture through the nearly closed door of what used to be our bedroom for that special night.

The parquet underneath my feet was creaking as I neared the door and I saw him turn his head towards the door like an antilope caught by a lion. He must've been scared like hell but as I came closer I wanted him to know he had nothing to be afraid of.

I pushed the door opened and there he was. His hair was matted and greasy and put in an updo which one could barely be able to call a ponytail. His chin was covered with stubble that hid the jawline his face was so nicely shaped with. His posture was attent and I could tell he was prepared to attack or defend himself if necessary. But what stood out the most were his forever steel blue eyes that shone even in the darkest of night.

I couldn't deny the smile forming on my lips as I stood in the doorway. He observed me consistenly as I neared him and stepped back when I was too close for his comfort. His left hand hovered in front of him as if he was trying to say to me that he felt he was dangerous.

I understood he was afraid, I knew that he was afraid of himself and with good reason, but he needed to trust himself once again.

After a couple seconds of just staring into eachother I made another step and this time he didn't step back. Neither of us said a thing, for it was not necessary. I reached over for his hands and he didn't reject my touch, he rather accepted it gently, almost as if he'd be scared to break me. My eyes bore into his, telling a story on its own so words were not needed.

But I needed to hear his voice.

"I knew I'd find you here," I whispered, "your love for Bucharest was not hidden, you know."

He merely smirked and his eyebrows knitted together forming his eyes into a sympathetic look. "I'm just glad to see you alive and healthy."

"Like a sparrow," I added and even if those words used to hurt, I knew the past was in the past. I could finally speak this word without feeling the heavy weight with it. 

"Katrina, I-I... I'm so sorry, I-"

I placed a hand over his mouth to make him shut up. "I forgive you."

Almost instantly he removed my hand and crashed his lips onto mine who curved up the second they collapsed with his, gripping onto my waist firmly and pulling me as close as he could, as if he'd be afraid I'd escape and he'd lose me forever. I returned the passion with my own kiss as I wrapped my arms around his neck, bringing his head even closer. I felt like I was soaring, flying away from my past and entering a new life. Something like our life couldn't just be forgotten overnight but I knew with eachother's help we could finally live the life we strived for. The life we were intended to live and enjoy.

He eventually backed away and pressed his forehead against mine as his eyes bore into mine. "Will you stay with me, Katrina?" He let out a breathy question.

I'd be leaving my friends and family behind if I did this, but I knew they were in good hands. They had eachother, like I now had him. That was what I needed. I would return to them eventually. My whole life was like a chess match just waiting to be lost, waiting for my king to fall, but now it seemed like I could not only finish it but I could put a checkmate to the game and win.

"That's why I'm here." I replied.

"What will happen to the kids? And Natasha?" His concerned voice echoed.

"They are in good hands. They will learn to take care for themselves, it's about time they grow up. And I know I'll see Natasha again one way or another." I waited a second before saying. "I'll stay with you. Forever, Bucky, I promise I'll love you forever." I whispered and I saw his eyes turned just a shade brighter.

I needed him to say it. Say the words back to me and I would be certain I was making the right choice.

And he did.

"Katrina, you were always the sparrow who brought spring to the winter that my life has been. You stayed with me and forgave me for my mistakes that, to be honest, I made a lot of. That's why I love you, Sparrow. Always have, always will."

I layed my head on his chest and his chin rested on top of my head. I listened to his beating heart and closed my eyes. I was finally able to feel okay without a worry in the world.

"Bucky?" I murmured. "Is this finally the end of the game?"

I felt him shrug. "We can only hope, doll. But for now, let's just start a new one. Together."