Davino Flamboyant

"Alright, how about this one?" Polina's voice returned from being muffled by the clothes of her closet to being clear once she'd turned towards me to show me yet another dress she wanted me to try on for our date with Bucky. Apparently even if I've known Bucky for the majority of my life, first date impression still matters.

I checked out the dress she was holding. It was a nice piece of burgundy fabric with mesh sleeves and a flower patterned collar. It wasn't too long, I figured it might reach just past my knees. But still something about it bothered me. I didn't know how to judge the beauty and value of dresses, I never had to teach myself that. So I declined this offer as well as four others beforehand.

"Seriously, Katrina, when are you gonna make up your mind? You only have twenty minutes left to get ready!" I sensed my sister was fairly annoyed with me as she should be, I was pretty annoyed with myself as well.

"Bucky isn't even back yet, I think we have plenty of time," I argued. Mom asked Bucky to go to the store and seing as I had to charm myself up for our night out, he was more than happy to fulfill her request. Just then I heard a knock on the door and a masculine voice after my mother opened the door for them.

"Shit," I cursed silently, "Maybe we really do have to hurry."

At the end I did go with the burgundy dress, since it was the closest I could get to a fashion style of the 40's, a style Polina was dying to achieve for she knew Bucky's real story. Yulia hadn't gotten the chance to explain their past and knowledge yet, but I figured Polina knows just as much as she does. Yulia wasn't like my father, she wouldn't keep secrets like that before her children.

I felt unnatural while I was putting on the piece of clothing and once it was well fitted on my curved body I felt sincerely unprotected from harm. Not to mention the draft crawling up my legs. Luckily for me, Polina and me were quite similar in sizes, clothes as shoes, so she could lend me not only a dress, but a pair of beautiful slightly pointy two-inch black heels, which had a strap that wrapped around my leg just above my ankle. She accompained the dress with a thick leather belt with a silver buckle, just so it could divert the view from the leftover fabric around my waist to the curves above and below the belt. I did let her to put makeup to me to some extent, excluding the contour and eyeshadow, so I came out of the bathroom looking like Marilyn Monroe with her signature strands of eyeliner and her bright red lipstick although mine reflected a shade of a ripe plum rather than a bright red cherry.

"Don't you think we're getting just a little too hyped about this? What if Bucky comes looking like he's just going out on a jog or something, you know, like he usually does," I started doubting.

Polina waved my words off, "Don't be silly, no man ever said the words 'let me wisk you away' and not mean it as a date evening with dinner and dancing and walks in the park."

"Have much experience?" I lifted my eyebrow.

She returned with a sour glare, "I had my fair share of men like that, although most of them ran away right after the wisk."

Again I felt the need to calm her, but no words came out. I convinced myself it was because she was just fixing the lipstick on my upper lip and therefore I was bound not to talk so I wouldn't mess it up further. "There, all done!" She finally exclaimed and helped me stand up from the edge of her bed.

I glanced at myself in the mirror just before I exited my sister's room. I can honestly say if I would see myself walking on the street like this I wouldn't be able to recognize myself. I looked like someone straight from Broadway or a fashion magazine I once saw Dr Cho was reading. I was without words standing there like that.

Polina was gripping my shoulders while standing behind me, grinning over my left shoulder, "Do you like what you see? I think you look like a dream, sis."