Bad and Worse

I didn't have work again later today, so I decided I should go back to visit my family. I wanted to ask Garry about my mother. It was still early in the day to have proper thorough discussions about a topic like my mom was, but I wanted to learn the truth about her. I had a feeling my father kept something from me, last time I was there he always avoided talking about my mom. Hell, I wasn't even sure what her name was.

I asked Bucky to come with me. I wanted my family to meet him just because I felt like I was hiding a fugitive when I had to conceal his existence from everybody. He refused to come at first, but when I pretended to be really insulted by his decision he went soft immediately.

We were now approaching the gates of the mansion my family lived in. Aida was the one who opened the door for us and jumped in my arms. She was startled by Bucky, though.

"Who is this, Katrina?" she asked hiding in my shoulder.

"Aida, this is my friend, Thomas." I said and Bucky slowly reached out a hand which the little girl slowly took and shook. It was a short but cute interaction and brought a smile to my face.

I walked in the house. Bucky seemed impressed over all the bling and luxury the house kept and was decorated by. His eyes were wide open when viewing the leather furniture and golden painting frames. I wasn't sure if he ever saw an ordinary house as beautiful as this, or ever been in one. It was certainly a change from Hydra's underground bunkers.

"Katrina, you're back!" I heard my brother shout from the staircase that was on the side of the foyer. He skipped over the stairs and came to hug me. He was nineteen, but he still seemed like a baby chicken to me. I smiled in the hug. That's when he noticed Bucky standing by me.

"Hello, there. I'm Vadim," he introduced himself.

"Thomas," Bucky replied and they shook hands.

"Cool, can I call you Tom?"

"Uh.. sure, be my guest," Bucky said awkwardly and gave a small smile.

I was just about to ask Vadim where dad was, when he walked through the door that came from the living room. "Katrina! Welcome back, I see you've brought a friend." He said with a judging expression on his face. I was a little nervous about Garry meeting Bucky, but I still imagined he would accept Barnes immediately. I didn't expect the reaction he gave.

"Yeah, dad, this is my friend Thomas. I asked him to come with me today."

"May I ask why?" Garry asked while shaking Bucky's hand.

"I just thought he'd get along great with Vadim. We were hanging out a bit today, so I thought why not, you know?" I tried to joke and I heard Vadim and Bucky chuckle a bit, but Garry didn't laugh.

"You know, Thomas, you seem very familiar to me. Have we met before?" Garry observed Bucky precisely. His eyes didn't move from Bucky's not even for a second.

"I.. don't think so, sir. But it's an honor to meet world's best chess player," Bucky complimented and stood proudly. I was proud of him. I thought he'd be nervous meeting all these new people (which he still was), but he seemed to be handling it better than I imagined. He was obviously put on point with all the questions and looks that my dad was giving him, but he worked through them smoothly.

"Hm, I could've sworn..." Garry insisted, but I stopped him.

"Could we not talk about it, father? I actually came to ask you a personal thing, so would you mind stepping someone more private with me?" I asked and pulled Garry aside.

Bucky gave me a worried glance and wanted to say something, but I whispered to him, "Don't worry, hang out with Vadim, I'll be right back."

Garry led me down in his office down the stairs, while I saw Bucky being led by Aida and Vadim in the kitchen. I smiled slightly knowing he was in good hands. I followed my father through a dark hall and then we entered a nice office. The walls were covered in matt red wallpapers and the furniture was all wooden. There were some paintings and diplomas hanging off the walls and there was a big shelf by the wall reaching from one side of the room to the other filled with books. I noticed a small tea table in the corner, next to a leather armchair, on which there was a small chess board with glass figures. On the left there was a big desk with a chair behind it.