Chapter 1 - Complication

MESSAGE TO READERS:

Just wanted to let all the readers know that Emotionally Compromised is going through some major edits (grammar/punctuation/plot) in preparation for its publication date set for November 15, 2013
Please check my wattpad profile, facebook page, or website for updates!
You're all so stellar <3

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALEX TURNER

--------------------------------

I take a drag of my cigarette, and exhale into the phone, "Derek, are we really talking about this?"

"How long is your break?" he asks ignoring my question.

I laugh mockingly, "Not long enough for this conversation, I'm sure."

"I swear, are you always set to anger mode?"

Another giggle erupts from me. I can almost feel him smiling on the other end too."Take off that grin I know you have on your face right now. You are not funny Derek."

"I know, but as long as I can just make you laugh I’m good."

I lean against the building, sigh evidently into the phone, and he says, "I've made you mad again haven’t I?” Then I can hear his tone shift, “Are you smoking? I feel like I can hear you smoking. I thought you were trying to stop?"

I grunt into the phone, but I guess I'm smiling. I cannot be doing this, "Agent Matthews, do you have anything new to report?"

He responds the same way, and sighs heavy into the phone. "Back to formalities I guess is only fair on company time. Just know that this is me caring, Agent Turner."

I rub at my temples, and I am suddenly thankful he can't see the look on my face. "Agent Matthews..." I whine.

"Alright, alright...no, Agent Turner, nothing new to report. Just don't do anything stupid. Take your time with this."

"I'll call you later Derek."

"Please, Alex.”

“Bye.”

I hang up the phone wondering how I’ve gotten myself into this mess as I take another long drag of my cigarette; the nicotine calming my nerves. 

When did my personal and professional life come crashing into one another? I need to tell Derek to be more professional. How can I act like an undercover agent when my estranged best friend, I guess ex-boyfriend, is wanting to “talk” while I’m on the job?

I laugh at the thought, ‘Job?’ as I pull these tight spandex shorts up slightly, and smooth out the trashy black tube top over myself. These clothes barely cover me. I feel so put on display; A girl agent, chosen to go undercover only because she looks good in practically nothing. I roll my eyes at the thought. When will I earn the respect the boys get?

I run my hands through my dark curly hair and sigh.

Focus Alex, you do have an objective. Right. Find out whom Marcus Gibbs calls his close friends, and see if he meets any of his connections here. Agent Derek Matthews has explained to me that the word on the street is that his French accomplice is in town, and that they might meet tonight; somewhere public and inconspicuous. Without knowing what this person might look like is tough.

Even tougher is that the company he works for does business with the French all the time.

I have to be particular with my observations. At times it feels like my team is leading me blind, but I can do this. I am eager to get the ball rolling on this assignment.