Chapter 4 - Chances

ALEX TURNER

--------------------------------------------

I am exhausted from last night. Tracking Marcus’ car proved to be generally useless. Derek went and checked the situation out himself. All we know is Luke is the top person on our suspect list. He is most likely the European contact. He left Marcus’ house via cab around 2AM, and it looks as if Marcus didn’t head to bed until close to 4AM.

            I wonder what kind of game Marcus is going to play. Will he text me soon?

            I wander around my apartment wondering what I should do with my day. It is only 10AM. I debate if I should head to the office, and maybe hit the gym.

            Though, I should be studying. My test is on Tuesday. I peer over at my coffee table and squint at the sight of my BAR exam review book.  Oh how I want to light that book on fire and throw it off the tallest building in Boston.

            I sigh realizing the right answer. My test is less than a week away.

            I grab my backpack and stuff my series of exam prep books, and the constitution inside and decide coffee is necessary.

            My cellphone rings and it’s Derek.

            “Agent Turner speaking.”

            “What are you doing?”

            Rolling my eyes I respond with “I am about to go study, my test is less than a week away.

            “You’re studying on a Saturday?”

            I decide to get snarky. “Derek, you act as if I live a normal young adult life. Well, I don’t have plans with my expansive amount of friends that I DON’T have, and my lack-there-of boyfriend hasn’t called for a night out. So unfortunately I have to go study for the test that will eventually help me take YOUR job.”

            He begins laughing into the phone and the familiar sound makes me smile. Glad I can still make him laugh.

            “Well said. Has Gibbs been in touch?”

            “No, but he will, I’m sure. Any news?”

            He grunts into the phone, “I wish. If you meet up with him at any point I need you to put a tracker on his phone. We need a way to see where he is at all times”

            “I will work on it. If he doesn’t call today, it will probably be tomorrow.”

            Suddenly there is a long pause.

            “Agent Matthews?” I ask filling the silence.

            Boldly he asks, “Do you want to get a beer tonight?”

            Another long pause.

            “Agent Matthews, I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

            Another long pause.

            “I understand, Agent turner. I’ll be in touch.”

            I am almost disappointed that he didn’t fight for it but I don’t have time either.

            “Goodbye, Derek.”