Chapter 13 - Overwhelmed

ALEX TURNER

---------------------------------

I take in a deep breath as I walk towards Captain Alvarado’s office. I can’t help but peer back behind me seeing (hoping) if Derek might be trailing after me --but he isn’t. He is still sitting in that room soaking in my words. Maybe this can be a good thing? Maybe this is the only way to get him to understand. We have a tough-love sort of friendship, so maybe it is a test. And god dammit, I hope we can ace it, because right now I need him. 

I fear the wrath of Alvarado, and Derek would be a nice support system. I need my best friend.

I notice the blinds to the Captain’s office are closed as I approach the door. Obviously he means this meeting to be private. Fuck.

I knock twice before entering. As I stumble inside I am surprised to see Captain Alvarado patiently waiting for me with his arms folded on his desk as he sits there staring at me.

“Hello, sir” Man, am I nervous.

“Take a seat Agent Turner,” and he signals towards the green leather chair in front of his mahogany desk.

You can do this.

I take a seat and gulp down a breath bracing my self for a verbal pummeling.

“So Turner, let’s cut the shit, right?”

Without even thinking I say, “Of course, sir.”

He chuckles briefly at my response. “You look pale as a ghost. Take a deep breath. I am not going to go ballistic but you have to know that I am upset at some of your decision making lately.”

My brows furrow confused for a moment, is he talking about what I think he is?

Reading my mind he answers my stare, “I know you are seeing Jeremy Hunt.”

Oh, there you are embarrassment! I thought I was never going to see you again…

“Sir, I am so sorry--”

“--I told you we were going to cut the shit. You better be sorry, but I might be the one being sorry.”

Even more confusion floods my face, “So, you’re not mad?”

In an oddly eerie calm he says, “Agent Turner, I am fucking pissed, you let your hormones compromise your assignment…”

“I know sir but--”

“--Stop. I know this past year has been rough and I don’t want to clutter you with what you have done wrong. You have your BAR exam tomorrow don’t you?”

My eyes go wide, and I am still curious where this is going. “Yes sir, I do.”

“I don’t want to make you feel like shit about your shitty decisions, well, at least not until after that exam anyways,” and he has the audacity to chuckle, and oddly enough I chuckle back too. Is this ok?

He continues, “You need to buck up and get a grip. I know what is going on. I know you and Derek Matthews are no longer dating …and I think it is better that way, but you need to get him under control. I am making that your responsibility. You two are my best team and if you can’t fix this on your own I don’t want to have to do something drastic.”

My stomach plummets momentarily. I don’t want to lose my partner.

“Do you understand Agent Turner, you and Matthews need to become a team again, not like a divorced couple always at each others throats? You two care a lot about each other and I think that is what makes you two so great for this agency and I would hate to see all that thrown away because you both couldn’t keep it in your pants.”