Chapter 5 - Doing the right thing

ALEX TURNER

 ------------------------------------------------------

         “Hello Alex…” I hear a sudden whisper in my ear, and by the whispy tone and how close his lips are to my ear I know immediately who it is. My throat goes dry at the thought as I peer up at the looming Jeremy Hunt who is smiling at me –why is he always smiling at me like that? It makes my gut clench. What is he doing here?

     He’s wearing a tight black V-neck that makes all his muscles visible as he moves. And his fitted denim jeans hang on his hips effortlessly. His blond hair always windblown, and those piercing blues eyes just as I remember them –they always feel like they are swallowing me whole.  I gulp at the thought.

     All I can manage is a weak smirk. I start to become confused. Why would he approach me here? At least I don’t have to follow any rules out here in the open –but I am armed, which I find oddly reassuring.

     “Mind if I join you?” His arm signals toward the empty chair next to me.

     I can’t help myself, “Why?” I ask.

     Agent Turner, you have no filter.

            He laughs, though almost offended says, “Because…”

            “That isn’t a reason,” I quip.

           He kind of huffs, pulls out the chair anyways and takes a seat. My eyebrows furrow at his direct defiance, but I still can’t stop my heart from beating at such a rapid rate.

      Why does he have to be so damn attractive? I look a mess. I came here for a last minute study session to get away, and now I can’t possibly be expected to focus with this Greek god of a human being sitting here, staring at me with those picture perfect blue eyes. He’s still an arrogant asshole –don’t forget that Alex, stand your ground.

     Oh, and lets not forget my job kind of being on the line…potentially

            He places his coffee on the table and suddenly he looks entirely vulnerable. His stark look makes me melt as he asks, “Why are you so mean to me?” avoiding eye contact with me. Am I making him nervous?

            The question shocks me. I guess I never thought of it that way.

            I swallow hard. I momentarily feel bad and say matter-of-fact, “I’m sorry. I am just trying to protect myself.”

            He turns back to me now curious, “Protect yourself? What do you mean? From who?”

            I smile fully now at the fact that he seems to be just as frazzled as me with this encounter. “From you, of course, Mr. Hunt.”

            “I told you, its Jeremy. Now that’s just silly.”

            I laugh which makes him laugh too. He reveals his full grin making my heart skip a beat. “Silly? Did you just say Silly? It’s not silly. I know how you try and manipulate women…Mr. Hunt.” I enunciate the ‘t’ sharply.

            His smile vanishes, and his eyes begin searching mine for something, but for what?

            “You think I manipulate women?” he asks as he tilts his head quizzically; I think debating on whether or not he should be offended.

            I shouldn’t reveal how much I know about him. I set my pencil on my book, and sigh, chewing on my lip, having to really decide how honest I want to be. We were flirting seconds ago, and now what?