Chapter 2 - Distractions & Follow Through

ALEX TURNER

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I nervously begin to straighten out my shorts. This is my 5th time doing it, as I thinkt about ways to salvage the night. Derek is going to be pissed that I didn’t make any progress, and that I left early. Shit.

            I take a deep breath as I approach their table. What’s worse is before I realize it, Jeremy Hunt already has his eyes on me.

            I look away and notice Marcus is wondering who his friend might be staring at. Marcus' face suddenly slinks into a slow lazy smile at the sight of me.

            “Hello boys...”

            They all stop what they are doing to look at me –all of them. Why do I find it all of a sudden unnerving?

            “I just wanted to inform you that I’ll be heading out for the night, but thought I could put in another round of drinks for you all.”

            My words sounded crisp, and confident. Thank goodness.

            Jeremy is not letting up with his stare, and with this sort of secret smile playing on his lips he has me wanting to run. Does he think I'm leaving because of him? Because he would be half right.

            “Leaving?” Marcus sputters, “But the night is just about to get interesting.”

            Catching me completely off guard Marcus pulls me into the booth to take a seat.

            I force myself to giggle, and slide my self out smoothly. “I really must be going. I have to study.” Please don’t touch me.

            I don’t know if pawning myself off as a starving student will work.

            Jeremy chimes in this time, “Well, we are just about to leave. Do you mind closing out our tab, and letting us walk you out?”

            It all seems inappropriate, but I am willing to consider this an opportunity to get Marcus’ attention before it’s too late. Maybe I will slip him my number without the prying eyes of Jeremy Hunt.

            So I agree with a timid, “Sure.”

            Looking around at his boys he says matter-of-factly, “Its on me,” and hands me his American Express card.

            If he thinks that will impress me, he is dead wrong.

I smile sweetly, and make my way out to the register to close them out. Not a bad night for them at $400.00. I roll my eyes and stroll back to the table to hand him back his card, and have him sign his receipt.

I lay both on the table, and of course Jeremy speaks before I can get away. “Are we meeting you outside then?”

“I really just need a cab.”

He smiles, ignoring my statement, “Meet you out there in 10 then?”

I look back at Marcus who has his eyes on me while licking his lips.

I know what I have to do. “Ok, in 10.”

I scurry to the back room. I pull my black zip-up hoodie over my shoulders, and submit to the reality that this just isn’t my best look. I hastily slip off my heels, stuffing them in my pack, and pull on my black chucks as a comfortable replacement.