The Strange Light

Hello, ghosts! It's Mel again. I lost inspiration for a while but I finally have another story! I have one currently in limbo. I thought it was going to be my next one to post but this one is written and finished already so I thought, why not? But anyhoo thanks and enjoy!

----------------------------

It was very bright, wherever she was. Levy McGarden's eyes hurt even before opening them. There must have been a light shining in her face. Her eyes were not the only thing in pain though. The solid script mage felt like a train had hit her, but she could not remember why her body hurt so much. Slowly, she cracked her eyes open. That was a mistake. The brightness of the room she was in caused a terrible migraine to shoot through her head. She groaned in response.

"Levy? Are you awake?"

She heard a familiar voice nearby but did not answer it. Confusion swept over her. Why was she in so much pain? Where was she? She could not even muster up the energy to reply to the voice.

"It's okay, Levy. We're safe. Just rest some more. You got the worst of it."

She got the worst of what? Levy's mind was whirling, but she decided to do as she was told. The pain was too much to endure awake. She allowed unconsciousness to take her once more.

***

When Levy woke again, her pain had subsided. She hesitated before finally opening her eyes again. The light was still a bit painful but more manageable this time. She found herself in a hospital bed in the middle of a bland room. There was a constant beeping of the machines next to her, and she noted the IV attached to her wrist. A figure who resembled a stellar mage and her best friend, Lucy Heartfilia, was covered in bandages and napping on the couch in the far corner.

"Lu-Lu?" Levy croaked. Her throat was rough and dry. The sound she made was barely audible, but Lucy stirred and blinked at her friend.

"Levy! You're finally awake! It's been weeks!" Lucy exclaimed as she stumbled to Levy's side.

"What happened? Why are you hurt?" Levy questioned, eyeballing Lucy's wounds.

"Hah! This is nothing compared to your injuries! Jeez! I'm so happy you're alive! It was pretty iffy for a while," Lucy replied with happy tears in her eyes. "And I don't know what happened to us. I can't remember anything. The doctor said that we both have pretty bad concussions. Don't you remember anything either?"

Levy thought for a moment but her memories were hazy. The last thing she remembered was leaving home at the age of thirteen with her childhood friend - who was currently standing at her bedside - to find a mage guild to join together. By the looks of her blond friend, they were not thirteen anymore. Levy explained this to Lucy, who nodded in understanding and admitted to having the same memory loss.

"How old are we?" Levy asked, slightly embarrassed to be voicing such a strange question. She could not keep her eyes off of her best friend's surprisingly large bust.

"Doc says we're both eighteen years old. He found our medical records. And we definitely weren't idle these past years: look how many keys I have now!" Lucy said enthusiastically, holding her heavy key ring out for the little script mage to see. She had nine of the twelve zodiac keys and many more silver ones. Lucy suddenly remembered something and paused awkwardly. She fidgeted in place for a moment before continuing. "Also, Levy... The doctor says that you're pregnant, and that it's a miracle you didn't lose your baby."

"What? How can I be pregnant? I've never even had a boyfriend... At least I think I haven't," she retorted, uncertain of her own memories.

"Well, whatever the case, you are pregnant. The doctor showed me the ultrasound. He thinks there are two in there, but it's too early to be sure," Lucy stated. She seemed to be full of her normal energy, which was comforting to the little blunette. At least that had not changed. The news about the pregnancy was unbelievable, but as Levy reached to feel her abdomen, there was a defined bump where she was normally flat. It was small but hard. What was she going to do about this? Levy looked into her friend's bright, brown eyes and breathed.