Fights

"Are you kidding me?" I questioned.

"Gemma... it's not that big of a deal."

"Speak for yourself! I thought you were on my side?"

"I am! But..."

"Because of my past?"

"Gemma."

"I was a stupid kid! Everyone makes mistakes."

"But you need to be honest."

"James." I took in a shaky breath. "She didn't look for Tom. She got his name wrong for God sakes. Why should I have to bring up my past- way before Tom. To a group of people who I don't even know."

"Its public record." He crossed his arms.

"It's not like I killed someone." I said as I stop pacing, James gave me a look as I raised an eyebrow.

"You tried to kill yourself."

"Yeah, I remember." I said as I started to pace again.

"Are you on any pills?" He asked.

"Nerve pills," I stated and he sighed nodding. "Why?"

"Answer the question."

"No. I gave them up."

"Ok...."

"What, what was that ok for?"

"It can go one of two ways-"

"James. I'm going to court for custody for a boy who I have raised. I have supported. His birth mother has never once contacted any lawyers about him. Why am I the one on trial?"

"I'm just preparing you incase this comes up." I shook my head.

"James I can't lose him."

"There... there's something else."

"Jesus Christ." I mumbled.

"Sit down." I stopped pacing and just looked at him. "They might try and take Tom out of your care during the court case."

"Are you kidding me?" I yelled.

"Just listen to me," I said putting his hand on the desk. "They're trying to say that you have no right to have him in your care-"

"And where would he go? With a woman, he doesn't know? A druggie who could care less about him?"

"It'd be a foster family."

"My baby is not going into the system." I snapped.

"You need to cooperate."

"I can't do this." I threw my hands up.

"Gemma. You wanted to do this." He stood up.

"Well excuse me if I thought his druggie of a birth mom wouldn't be in the running for a caregiver."

"Listen, if you play your cards right-"

"I should have to play my cards right that bitch shouldn't even have a cut from the fucking deck." I ran out of the office slamming the door. I started to cry as soon as my car door was closed. "FUCK!" I yelled as I punched the steering wheel. Suddenly I was crying from pain. I grabbed my hand and chewed on my lip.

"Ok wait, what?"

"It's just a fracture." I sighed.

"You punched your steering wheel?"

"Anyways."

"Jesus."

"Garrett moving on." I mumbled.

"Well, I called for a reason."

"I assumed. Not hearing from you for over a year."

"I'm in town and I thought we could get coffee."

"Alright. I need someone to vent to." I laughed lightly, thoughts of Billie floated into my head.

"I'm all ears." He laughed. "When are you free?" I looked at Tom who was watching TV.

"Whenever you are."

"Now? E68?" He asked.

"See you there." I smiled as if he could see.

"Great." I pressed end and got me and Tom ready.

"Go see yeye?"

"No buddy." I sighed as I buckled him in. I was nervous. Garrett didn't know about Tom, he moved away three years ago and we talked on the phone every day. But last year it stopped. I have no idea why but I got so busy with Tom I didn't care.

"You had a baby?" Garrett said walking up as I pulled Tom out of the car.

"Long story." I smiled. Garrett hugged me tightly and looked at Tom.

"Hi, buddy, what's your name?"

"Tom." He said and he cuddled into me. I smiled at him and kissed his head, it was eight o'clock so he was tired. I sat down in a booth and Garrett went to get our coffees. Tom laid down with his head on my lap and he took his thumb in his mouth closing his eyes.

"Large black," He said laying the cup on the table.

"Thanks." I smiled.

"Its been so long." He smiled.

"I know." I nod. "How have you been?"

"Ya know." He shrugged. "Married divorced."

"What!?" I squealed, I covered my hand with my bad hand and flinched in pain.

"Ok, I need an explanation on your hand first." He put up his hand stopping me.

"No no no, I need to know about this marriage." I smiled and looked down.

"Um, well I got married last year."

"Garrett!" I said and he laughed.

"That's why I had to stop talking to you."

"Wait, was she really jealous over a stranger?"

"Ah, yes... he was."

"Are you sure..." I looked at him and raised an eyebrow. "He?"

"Yep." He nodded. I looked down at Tom and took off my jacket laying it on him.

"So your?"

"Gay." He nodded.

"So what happened?" I asked.

"Well, I woke up one morning and was like, ya know what I like dick." He said and we both cracked up laughing.

"I mean with your marriage." I said as I caught my breath, suddenly it hitched again as my phone rang. I pressed lock and laid my phone to the side.

"Well, we dated for... a little over eight months and he purposed."

"And they say lesbians move fast."

"You gay?" He questioned smiling.

"No! I was just saying." I laughed. My phone rang again and I let out a sigh.

"You can take it." He said as he reached for it to pass it to me he read the name and my heart sank.

"Billie, can I call you back?" I chewed on my lip.