You're not the mother

"I'm so scared." I sighed. I looked down the hall and Kim walked out of the bathroom and went towards her lawyer as she picked up her phone. She didn't look worried, did she know something I didn't? Or did she just not care?

"She hasn't even looked at him." Garrett said.

"Really?" I questioned.

"Nope." He mumbled.

"Come on." James said sticking his head around the door. I passed Tom to Billie and I kissed his head.

"Ok, so I have made my decision." The judge said. I looked back to Tom and Billie and Garrett. I had a bad feeling. "Miss Butler you said that you don't call yourself M-O-M to Tom right?" He asked.

"Yes that's right- I didn't know how things were going to turn out." I was scared.

"Ok, is Tom here right now." He said knowing he was.

"He's right there with my friends." I pointed toward Billie and Garrett.

"Ok, what's your name ma'am?" He said toward Billie.

"Um." She stood up. "Billie."

"Can you bring Tom here and stand him in the middle." As soon as his feet hit the ground he ran to me hugging my legs. "Can you put him back in the middle."

"Go with Billie," I said and he held my leg tighter. "Go to Billie please?" I said running a hand through his hair. He went to her and looked around.

"What's your name?" The judge said to Tom. He hugged billies legs and mumbled.

"Tom."

"Ok Tom, can I ask you something." He nodded. "Can you show me your mommy?" Tom looked up at him then ran to me. I picked him up and he hugged my neck tightly making me laugh light as I kissed his head.

"Mum." He said quietly.

"Ok, you can take him back now." He nodded at Billie. Billie walked over to me and took Tom, who was reluctant to leave me.

"Its ok buddy." I smiled at him and he nodded going with Billie.
I looked nervously towards them as they sat down.

"Ok. Mothers have internal instincts, from the second they find out there pregnant a bond starts. And children need that bond and children need family and people that they can trust." He looked toward me. "Not a lot of people would stop there lives for a child. Let alone one that isn't there's, but at the same time Kim is the birth mother."

"She stole him from me!" Kim shouted.

"Quiet." He said pointing at her. "We been over that, she had looked for you before. Ok, I always give the mother the benefit of the doubt. And I'm doing that again today." My head sank, I was ready to cry...

I looked back at Tom and he was sucking his thumb looking at me. I was going to lose him, he was going to go to a strange place with a stranger all because she birthed him. I couldn't tell if I was angrier or sad.

"Kim." He said. "You are Tom's birth mother. But that's it. Gemma." He turned to me. "You are the person who raised him, you are all he knows. As far as me, and the law is concerned you are Tom's mother. I grant you full custody of Tom Blake Alex Neil." I covered my mouth as I started to cry. "Your lawyer will get the paperwork for you."

"She stole him from me!" Kim yelled.

"Case dismissed." He banged the mallet and I ran to the small gate where Billie had Tom. I grabbed him from her and hugged him tightly as I cried. Garrett and Billie hugged me tightly and James walked over.

"Congratulations." He said.

"Thanks." I smiled towards him as I still held Tom tightly.

I laid Tom down for his nap and Garrett went to work so I and Billie were alone together finally. "I'm so happy for you." She smiled.

"I was so scared, Billie...."

"I know, me too." She hugged me tightly.

"Does this change anything?" I accidentally said out loud. She looked over at me confused.

"What?"

"Like... Tom is my son now. I know he was my main focus before, but now there is no 'getting rid' of him. Dating isn't just me, it's Tom and me."

"Listen, you literally don't deserve anything but the best. I care so much about you and Tom, it doesn't change anything... I..." she let out a breath.

"What?"

"Dude, I'd honestly date you right now if you would let me." I smiled at her and she leaned up and kissed me, I kissed her back and I wrapped my arms around her waist. I held her so tightly I didn't want to let her go ever. My life was more or less fixed now, Tom is mine, Billie had a few day's of the tour and she came to check on me and said she wants to date me... What had my life become?