Chapter 1 | Starting Line

The dark-haired boy with teal highlights slept uncomfortably in his bed that night. He briefly woke up, light blinding his eyes, knowing for a fact that today was his first day at school. His first days at school were often the worst. Grumbling, he stood up hesitantly from the warmness of his bed, and made it. After he finished, he forgot what to do next. It seemed like such a long time since he acted out his daily school routine. 

His memory quickly flew back to him as he heard his younger sister Juleka yell across to him from what seemed like the kitchen, "Luka! get out of bed already, school is going to start in fifteen minutes!"

 Luka couldn't remember the first things she said. All his mind heard were the last few words. Luka's first day of school would start in fifteen minutes, and he was standing there looking like an idiot in his music-filled room with his plain black boxers still on. Immediately he began to move, and he knew he would need to rush if he wanted to come on time and come looking good.

   Luka finally came running in the kitchen towards the island with his backpack all packed up, praying he didn't forget anything. He quickly sat down on the white wooden stool, almost tripping and falling in the process but managing to sit down steadily somehow. 

Juleka obviously notices this, giving a quick chuckle and commenting with an amused expression, "Slow down! It'll do you no good if you get injured on your first day of school, Luk."

Luka smiled with slight annoyance in return, "Well, it'll do you no good if you fall over in that position and break all the dishes. Explain that to mom," He returned the attitude.

 Currently, Juleka was holding one dish in her hand as her elbow touched the table, almost in a thinking expression, while the other plates were in her other hand, and looking like they were going to fall and break if Juleka let go even one finger on them. Juleka, now aware of her careless pose, swiftly re-positioned herself and looked away from Luka. 

"Fine mister wise-guy. You win this time. Just go eat your breakfast now," She left towards the sink, in hidden defeat, and began to wash the dirty dishes.

Luka tried not to show a smile of victory. He stood up from his seat, and went over to the fridge to pick his breakfast for the day.

   Having a satisfyingly delicious breakfast, Luka collected his lunch and backpack, then walked over to the front door. He began to put on his blue-laced sneakers, and his favourite white hoodie. It had a small black lightning bolt where the left side of his chest was. To finish it off, it had a large bold blue stripe going around the bottom of the hoodie. Luka felt proud, and he felt ready for his first day of school. His sister was shuffling around for a couple more minutes before coming over to where he was and putting her shoes on. Luka suddenly noticed that their mom wasn't here. 

"Hey Jule, where's mom?" Luka asked.

 "Oh, she said she couldn't be here this morning, but she hopes we have a good day at school. Anyways, we better get going," She responded coolly without looking away from tying her shoes.

 "Yeah, I guess we should," Luka agreed.

 Juleka got up and then they both stepped outside of the wooden door. Luka took a breath of fresh air once he stepped outside. It'd been a while since he'd gone outside, and he forgot how beautiful and refreshing everything was. He felt ready to go. He had to change schools because his school was being renovated. He didn't know how many friends he could make, or how many people would like him, but he knew that there was no harm in trying to get along. It was time to start the day.