Chapter 19 | I Wonder What He Was Listening To

The day of the trip came sooner than expected. The chosen class of Françoise Dupont High School had all their bags packed and ready as they boarded the subway train that had arrived at the station. All of the students followed Ms. Bustier in a cluster while Adrien stood further back with his bodyguard and another woman. There was also another girl who was in our class that was standing next to him, with another girl holding her bags behind. Luka was quite sure that the girl standing next to Adrien with a massively self-absorbed personality and blonde hair was named Chloé, and the girl struggling with Chloé's bags and her own simultaneously with glasses was the polite classmate, Sabrina. Whenever Luka saw Sabrina being used by Chloé for whatever she wanted it always made him feel bad. Snapping back to what was happening to him at the moment, the subway train's doors slid open without lag and people who were previously riding it were exiting as the class along with other people were getting on. The students were supposed to sit in an area where they wouldn't lose one another. He followed the others in front of him as they made their way through the rows of seats until they found a place where they could all sit. Luka gripped tighter to his luggage to make sure that he wouldn't lose it.

"Alright class, find a seat in this area. Make sure you choose a place where I can see you." Ms. Bustier called out to her students. They all began shuffling for seats after she said that. Luka found an empty spot relatively quickly and sat down, dragging his belongings with him. When he moved all his stuff and moved his position so that it was comfortable he sat up for a brief moment to scan around this section of the subway train. He saw everyone getting comfy in their new seats that they would have to stay in for around 2 hours. He also saw Ms. Bustier near the back of the section where there were walls separating it from the other areas of the subway train. Luka looked around again for Adrien and saw that he was a couple of rows back on the left side of the train sitting beside the woman from earlier with his bodyguard sitting by himself in a seat behind. Luka ended up sitting alone as well, but he could see that on the opposite side of where he was seated were Marinette and Alya, where Alya was sitting closest to the window and Marinette was sitting on the outside of the seats. They were getting ready for the train to start moving, so Marinette was putting their luggage in the compartment above because it wouldn't fit the small area where they rested their legs. After Marinette finished stuffing the last bag into the slot she turned around and realized that Luka was staring at her.

"Hey. Do you need something?"

"Not really. But," he scooted a little closer to the edge of the seat and leaned forward to make sure that Marinette would be the only one to hear what he was going to say next. "Adrien's really cool, don't you think?"

She looked over to Adrien and then looked back, smiling. She leaned and whispered as well.

"He is pretty cool. Especially at listening to things on his iPod." Luka looked back at Adrien and realized that he was listening to something on an iPod. Adrien peered outside the window and admired all the people that were still at the station. Still staring at the boy, Luka responded.

"Yeah. He's awesome at that."

"You're blushing."

Luka immediately turned his head away from the girl and his crush by turning to his window. He touched his cheeks a little bit and realized that she was telling the truth. He felt extremely embarrassed and probably started to blush some more. However the raven-haired girl just chuckled a bit before falling silent. It was silent for a few moments more before she heard Alya's voice intrude their thoughts.

"Marinette, I need some help over here. Stop talking to Luka and help me with it."

"Oh, sure." She turned away and with that, their conversation was over. Coincidentally at the same time their conversation ended, Ms. Bustier called out to the class.

"Everyone, the train is about to start, so make sure to have your bags put away in the compartment above and are seated. The trip will be roughly 2 hours and 30 minutes long, so if you have to go to the bathroom during this time, please let me know. I'll be going through the aisle shortly to do a headcount, so please do not get up from your seats." Luka ended up just sitting silently near the window, just pondering. I'll never have a chance with Adrien, he's just a silly crush and has little to no chance of liking me back... right? Luka put his head on the window and watched as the station started to move away slowly, until all that was left were the dark brick walls of a tunnel.

~~~

   Luka fluttered his eyes open to find out that he'd fallen asleep. The first thing that he saw was a bright orange light coming from the outside. He faced the windows and saw that the subway train was out of the ground and on it instead. There were endless fields in the distance and the sky was turning into a infusion of pinks and oranges. There were a few faded clouds visible that absorbed the sky's setting state. Then he turned around drowsily to see that most of his classmates were either also sleeping or doing something else to distract themselves. Luka's eyes got caught on Adrien. His face rested on the window as before and he was still listening to his iPod, but his eyes were closed. The woman with glasses beside him was reading a book with an emotionless expression. His lips formed a small grin seeing him asleep. He looked incredibly peaceful. Luka thought about the first time he met him, and some of what happened afterwards. Despite his popularity and wealthiness he's a very kind person, and not entitled at all. I don't think there's a single entitled bone in his body. Luka's mind drifted to how he was earlier, just looking at people quietly. I wonder what he was listening to.