Chapter 22 | Sea Slug

Luka headed back to his room after his exchange with Marinette and took a cup of noodles that he packed in his bag to eat for the morning, since he didn't feel like going out to eat and considering how the hotel didn't have an eating area. When Adrien woke up he also ate something from what he packed and that's when Marinette texted Luka telling him that they were supposed to meet up at the beach close by. The beach was made up of gravel, seaweed, and pebbles so they clearly weren't going to swim, which made Luka wonder what they were going to do. When most people were gathered at the designated area, it was around 9:30 a.m., and looking around he could tell that some students were definitely late sleepers. Adrien had accompanied him on the walk to the beach just to have someone to chat with, so Luka was already feeling pretty energized. Also a bit flustered. They were walking alone after all, and it made his heart explode. His bodyguard and Natahlie met with Adrien at the beach since the walk from the hotel to the beach was a few minutes at most.

"Alright, attention everyone!" Ms. Bustier began to explain why they were gathered there. "Our first activity for the day will be a treasure hunt on this beach and the rocks around it. You and your roommate will team up to find all the things on your list and take a photo of it. The first team to find all of their items will be the winner!"

Adrien made his way over beside him to make sure that Ms. Bustier handed the pair a list.

"This sounds fun."

"Yeah it does." Luka replied honestly. He thought it would be a really fun way to learn more about their surroundings. This was a geography field trip after all. Eventually, Ms. Bustier strolled over to them and handed a sheet to them, which contained 5 points:

Treasure List

-A crustacean

-A piece of seaweed

-An animal from a rock pool

-A shell

-A bird

There were quite a few things that needed to be found, but Luka was sure that if Adrien and him did a bit of searching they would be fine. Maybe they could even win this.

"I'll use my phone for this, alright?" Luka spoke determinedly to Adrien. He nodded in return. He smiled happily so Luka concluded that he was excited to be taking part in such an activity. He couldn't agree more since this was certainly better than going through textbooks and taking notes all period. As if on cue, Ms. Bustier initiated the countdown.

"All teams have their lists? Okay, 3, 2, 1... Go!"

Most of the teams began to take out their phones and walk away searching carefully with their partners for the things on their lists. Everyone went different ways, some started to look along the shore line while others headed away from the beach. Luka left his phone in his pocket for when they actually found something.

"Let's look over there first." The blue-tipped boy pointed over to a specific part of the beach, closer to the rocky area where there were massive boulders stuck in the ground.

"Sure." And with that, they both started the hunt.

~~~

   The team of boys had been all over the gravel beach looking for the things on their lists, and they had taken pictures of many of them. They had even found cool things that they weren't looking for and managed to take pictures of those as well. Currently, both of them were near some rock pools that were close by to the enormous slabs of rocks they saw earlier. While they searched for the final thing on their list, they heard the tides of the ocean crashing on the pebbles in the background.

"This was a lot of fun." Adrien says softly as he was crouched over one of the rock pools looking into the tiny aquarium. He held onto the slippery rocks nearby with one hand as he peered in so that he wouldn't fall into the water and get wet himself. It was afternoon, so the bright orange sun from this morning had shied away and now everything was much more bright and blue. Luka smirked a bit and responded.

"Yeah it was. I never knew that there were so many different animals living on beaches." He answered while thinking about how the day went. It was true, since they saw so many things. The next time Luka goes to a beach he'll be sure to look out for some of the animals he'd seen here.

A bit of silence passed before something else happened.

"Oh! Look!" The other boy exclaimed from close to the pool. Luka quickly crouched beside him and looked into the pool as well. The bottom of the rock pool wasn't flat, since there was lots of gravel and some rock parts sticking out which the seaweed stuck onto. In those seaweed you could see some small shells, snails, and fish. Where Adrien was pointing in the water there was a brown blob in the water with a swirl of patterns on it. He was pretty sure it was trying to camouflage, because if Adrien had never pointed it out, Luka didn't think he would've been able to spot it. The creature was a bit smaller than his hand too.

"I think it's called a sea slug." He responded to Adrien.

"It looks really cool." He moved his hand forward and put his whole hand on the slug. "It's actually pretty squishy." The boy's voice expressed giddy after touching the unique rock pool animal.

A bit hesitant, Luka eventually took his hand forward and touched the slug with a finger, who was merely relaxing where it was. Adrien's description of the creature was fairly accurate since the sea slug had quite a squishy texture, but it was also a bit rough. It was like touching a gummy with a bit of a sandpaper texture.

"Wow, it feels pretty weird. I think that's the last thing we need too. Let me take a photo." Luka pulled out his device from his pocket and flashed a photo of the sea slug. With that photo taken, they had completed their list for the treasure hunt and should probably head back to Ms. Bustier. He looked up from the photo he took and turned towards where they started, which was quite a distance from where they were. The teacher waited with Adrien's bodyguards patiently. They were definitely going to have to walk a bit. "Alright, let's head back. Maybe if we're fast enough we can even win."

Luka proceeded to stand up after being hunched over.

"Wait." Adrien also stood up when he said that.

"Yeah?"

"Let's... take a photo together. Just to remember the moment. If that's alright with you, I mean."

Together? All of a sudden it felt like he was hit by a bus of emotions. He felt drenched in sweat and super hot, as always when he was with Adrien, but most of the time he managed to suppress his emotions so that nobody would notice and he could act normally. But sometimes, like now, Adrien could destroy that shield. With a slightly blushing face and rapidly beating heart he agreed.

"A-Alright."

"Let's have the ocean behind us." Adrien took the phone from Luka's hands and stood next to him, turning the phone around and having the camera face the boys and what was behind them. Being so close to him made him feel light-headed. The butterflies in his stomach were going out of control too. This picture better be taken fast or Luka might pass out. He tried to focus on giving his best smile for the photo so that he could stop going crazy over Adrien. Luka couldn't see what type of expression Adrien was giving, but he was sure it was a bright grin, because that's just how Adrien is. After a few moments, the blonde gave Luka's phone back and started to walk away. Adrien spoke, his head still turned away and being a few steps away from him. "Well then, let's go."

"Yeah." Before he started to follow however, he looked through his phone for the photo they just took to see how it turned out. When he saw it, he could clearly see now that it was definitely obvious he was blushing a bit. His smile was a bit awkward, which made Luka feel more embarrassed. He looked over to Adrien. He was as excited as ever, with a big smile on his face. He looked like he was really enjoying himself, compared to his normal life of always being confined at home. However... it also looked like he was blushing a bit. No way. I'm imagining it, Luka tried to convince himself. He didn't think too much of it and slid his phone in his pocket. Then he started to run a bit to catch up to the model, who was already pretty far away from him. "Wait for me!"