Chapter 21 | A Friend

It was difficult to fall asleep that night. Luka's eyes were shut, and his mind was restless for some sleep, yet he could barely manage to succumb to it. At this point, the boy had woken up and fallen back to sleep multiple times. His eyes stared at the ceiling for what could seem like hours. He turned to his left to see the wooden stand and Adrien still sleeping. Seeing the blonde hair boy sleep made him finally realize why he couldn't sleep at all at night. After remembering this, he started to remember his conversation with Marinette too. He reached out to his phone and grabbed it. He shuffled so that he would be comfortable and inputted his password then went through his contacts once more. He looked at the time that was displayed conveniently in the corner of the device, and it said 6:24 a.m. It's pretty early... he thought after seeing. However, he still continued to tap. He opened the messages for the ravenette-haired girl he talked to the night before.

Marinette

iMessage

Today 6:24 A.M.

u awake?

He put the phone down on his felt blanket expecting her not to respond, closing his eyes and putting an arm over his eyes to try to relax and attempt to sleep again. He remained like that for a few minutes, absorbing the heavy silence around him. He ended up not thinking about anything and a few minutes later he picked up his phone again. Since he expected to see no response, seeing another text message from the receiving side was a surprise to him.

yep

too excited to start the day so i ended up waking up early

wbu?

same

so about yesterday

yea?

can we meet up somewhere i dont rlly feel like talking about this online

sure

how abt the lobby?

ok ill go there rn

   After he sent the last text he quietly shuffled out of his bed trying as best as possible not to make noise that would make Adrien wake up. He picked up his jacket that he left on the ground for the night and wore it again, then he changed his pants and put on some socks before silently walking to the door. Thankfully, the floor was carpet so he didn't need to worry about floor boards creaking. He exited the room, closing the door slowly so that it wouldn't make noise, as he walked towards the elevator and traveled towards the lobby. Once the elevator arrived on the floor, he went towards the seating area of the lounge and saw that Marinette was already there waiting for him, sitting in one of the seats. She spots him and persuades him to sit down by waving to him. Luka strolls over and sits down next to her like she offered. He briefly glanced outside the window and saw that despite the darkness, he could still see a bit of light appearing since it was becoming morning.

"So what's up?" Marinette inquired him with her usual smile. She didn't wear pajamas like him, and she wore a white shirt with a few flower designs on it and she wore plain denim shorts. The only thing that was similar to how she normally looked was the way she styled her hair, since her hair was always tied up into two ponytails with red ribbons.

"Well, I want to tell Adrien how I feel."

"I think you should. Like I said, I think it would be good to get your feelings out before you leave the school."

"I'm just not sure. I agree with what you said but, what if he doesn't like me back? What if he likes someone else? When I first met him he was so kind, he helped me when I hurt myself, but what if when I tell him he thinks I'm gross and starts hating me?" he worried. Just imagining all the possibilities of telling him made him extremely nervous.

"He wouldn't start hating you because you like guys. He's not that type of person." She seemed to think about something else when she spoke, because her eyes aimed towards the ground and her smile seemed to dim with sadness.

"Do you want me to stop talking about this?" Luka asked her, clearly seeing that something was bothering her. After a few moments, she turned her face directly towards his and spoke with much more emotion and assurance than before.

"I'm fine. You can keep talking. The truth is that I had a crush on both you and Adrien simultaneously, so finding out that you don't have feelings for me and instead for Adrien... It broke me for a bit. I got really depressed, and I cried a lot... But then I realized there's no point sulking about things you can't have. Instead I decided I'm just going to move forward. I'm going to help you win his heart because I can't, and I'd rather help someone be happy than keep moping around and being sad. Even if it hurts, it's life. There's nothing I can change about what's happened, but I can take these experiences and use them to become a better person."

Hearing her words made him feel happy, but also upset. She would give up her happiness so that he would be? He was about to go against what she said but the girl quickly stopped her. "No matter what you say, I'm not going to change my mind. All I can say to you now is that I will support you, whether or not you choose to confess."

He was quiet for a few moments, before being overwhelmed by gratitude knowing that he has such a friend like her.

"I... I don't know what to say. Thank you for being there for me, Marinette."

"Anytime." After seeing how she feels, it encouraged Luka to make up his mind.

"Alright. I'll do it. I'll tell Adrien that I have a crush on him before we leave to Paris."