Accidents Happen-Peter Kavinsky

I got in my car, turned the key in the ignition and rested my head on the steering wheel. I closed my eyes and ignored the sound of my phone buzzing from the 3 different one-sided conversations I was currently in the middle of. I took a shaky breath before sitting back up and putting my car in reverse.

I started backing up, but had to slam on my breaks when I noticed someone was right behind my car. "Please tell me I did not just hit someone," I mumbled.

I stared straight ahead, gripping my steering wheel tightly. I held my breath as the person I just tried to run over walked around to my door. I took a shaky breath when they knocked on the window. I hesitated before rolling it down.

"Hey."

"Son of a. . ." I mumbled when I saw who it was I almost killed.

Peter Kavinsky.

"Hello," I nodded, still not turning towards him.

"How's ummm. . . How you doing?"

"I'm good," I said slowly.

"That's good," he said, almost laughing. 'You know people usually check behind them before they reverse, y'know to avoid killing others."

"True," I nodded. "But pedestrians usually watch for cars as they walk through a parking lot."

I took a shaky breath, mentally scolding myself when I felt the tears build up. "Whoa whoa whoa. I was just. . . I was kidding. I'm fine."

"It's not," I stuttered, still fighting to hold back tears. I closed my eyes and took a shaky breath. I opened my eyes and finally turned towards him, hoping I didn't look as terrible as I felt.

"I just have a lot going on and it has already been a crappy day. So if you wouldn't mind getting a safe distance away from an unstable driver, I would like to go home and try to forget this day, this week, ever happened."

"No," he said simply.

"What?"

"I said no."

"Peter. . ."

"Get out."

"What the hell are you. . ."

"I mean this in the nicest way possible Y/N, but get the hell out of your car."

I opened and closed my mouth, having no idea how to respond. I watched, still speechless, as he opened my car door for me. I slowly took my seatbelt off, leaving the keys in the ignition and got out of the car.

The second I was out, he pulled me into his chest, wrapping his arms around my waist. It took me a second before I hugged him back. Feeling his arms wrapped around me, made me break. I buried my face in his shirt as I let out the sobs I've been holding in for weeks.

We stood like that in the school parking lot, neither one of us saying anything. Once I had calmed down, Peter pulled out of the hug. I held my breath as he reached up and tucked a piece of hair behind my ear, his hand lingering on my cheek.

I took a shaky breath as he slowly dropped his hand. "Do you want to talk?" he asked, his voice soft.

I hesitated before shrugging. "Let's talk," he smiled down at me as he tucked the same piece of hair behind me ear. "I'm driving," he said, his smile turning into a smirk.

He grabbed my hand and walked me to the passenger side door. He opened it for me and waited for me to get inside before closing the door and jogging back to the driver's side.