Here For You

Noah's POV

I looked over and saw Y/N's dad pull his car out of their driveway before speeding down the road. My eyes instantly went towards Y/N's bedroom window. Her bedroom light turned on and her figure walked in, making me smile. The smile fell from my lips when I saw her shoulders start to shake.

She pressed her back to the door and slowly slid down it. My heart sank as she wrapped her arms around her knees, pulling them into her chest and lowering her head. Right as I was about to head over there, my phone started ringing. I looked over at Y/N's room to see her holding her phone to her ear, tears streaming down her cheeks.

I answered my phone, still staring at her window. "What happened?" I asked gently. She looked up, her eyes instantly meeting mine. She sent me a weak smile that immediately disappeared as tears continued to stream down her cheeks.

"I'll be right over," I said quickly. She nodded as I hung up.

I sent her a reassuring smile before leaving my room, skipping steps on the stairs, and jogging across our yards. I walked right in, knowing there was no reason to knock because no one would answer anyway. I went up the stairs as fast as possible, stopping outside Y/N's door. I gently knocked, waiting for her to open up.

The second she opened her door, she ran into my arms. I felt her tears instantly hit the front of my shirt as I rubbed circles on her back. I leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

Y/N's parents have been fighting for as long as I can remember. The only reason they stay together is because they think it's what's best for Y/N. If only they knew how much it was actually hurting her.

"I saw your dad leave," I whispered. "Is your mom in her room like usual?"

She nodded as she slowly stepped out of the hug. I put my finger under her chin, making her look up at me. "You okay?"

"As much as I can be," she whispered. I smiled sadly at her before pulling her back into my chest.

"It's okay," I whispered. "I'm here and you're always safe with me."

"I know," I heard her let out a small laugh.

"I mean it," I said, pulling away from the hug. "Y/N, you know that if anything ever happens, if you ever feel like you aren't safe or cared about or loved, I want you to call me. No matter what time it is or what I'm doing, I will always answer your call."

"I know all of that, Noah."

"I don't think you do," I whispered as I reached up and tucked a piece of hair behind her ear.

She didn't know. She didn't know how serious I was. She didn't know what I really meant when I told her I would always be here for her. She didn't know that I was absolutely crazy about her. She didn't understand that when I said I would help her feel safe or cared or loved, I was really telling her how much I already loved her.

I know it's cliché falling in love with your childhood best friend, but it happened. I was head over heels, stupidly, embarrassingly, overwhelmingly in love with Y/N.

And she had no idea.

* * * * *

Y/N and I spent the rest of the night in her room watching Netflix as we sat together on her bed, her computer between the two of us. I looked down and smiled when I noticed she had fallen asleep, leaning her head on my shoulder.

I leaned my head on hers and was about to fall asleep when her phone started ringing, waking the both of us up. She sat up and searched for it before grabbing it off her bedside table. I sat on her bed, watching her, as she stood up and answered it.

"Hi, dad."

My heart sank as her voice was shaky. I didn't know what he was saying, but I did know that Y/N was having a hard time listening to it. I scooted towards the side of the bed as she paced back and forth, biting her lip and humming in response to her father's ranting.

He never gave her a chance to talk or even respond to whatever he was saying. The more she paced back and forth, the lower my stomach felt like it sank.

"Right. . . I just. . . No. . . But. . . Okay." She hung up the phone and sat down, leaning against the side of her bed. I laid on my stomach and wrapped my arms around her.

"My dad is spending a couple nights in the motel he usually goes to. He just wanted to let me know in case. . . If I needed to stay somewhere else. . ."

"You can stay with me," I finished. She scoffed as she leaned her head against mine. "I'm serious, Y/N. My parents know you and they know what's going on. If I talked to them, they would understand. My mom would make up the guest bedroom the second I mentioned your name."

She let out a small laugh, causing me to let out a sigh of relief. "Why don't we do that? Why don't you spend the weekend over with us?"

She thought about it for a minute before nodding. "I should tell my mom. . . In case she ever decides to leave her room before dad comes home."

I stood up and grabbed her hands in mine, helping her stand up. The second she was on her feet, I pulled her in for another hug. "Come on. Let's pack you a bag for the weekend and then we can order pizza and watch whatever cheesy Netflix movie you want."

"That sounds amazing," she sighed, her arms still wrapped around my waist. I leaned down and pressed a kiss to the top of her head.

After we had packed her a bag, we spent the rest of the night watching movies until we fell asleep in my bed. Y/N fell asleep first and I couldn't help but watch her. She was peaceful, but I could see the faint sign of bags under her eyes.

I subconsciously tightened my arms around her, pulling her closer to me. "You have no idea how much you mean to me," I whispered. "You don't know how much I love you. I'm in love with you. . . If only that was something I could say to you when you were awake."

Little did I know, she wasn't as asleep as I thought.