The Duke and Duchess-Peter Kavinsky

Dedicated to WriterGirlme.

When I was young, I was sold in the black market by my older brothers. After years of living in farms, being mistreated, I was sold one last time to the Duke who ruled the lands. He was searching for a young girl who could spend time with his middle daughter, Lara Jean. His daughter was shy and he was hoping by adopting a girl her age, it might help her open up.

Oddly enough, it did. We shared a room and spent every minute together. By the end of the year, Lara Jean was a completely different person. She was lively and talkative. She was happy. Everyone noticed it.

Because of this, Duke Covey felt as if he needed to repay me. On my eighteenth birthday, he told me how he intended to pay his debt.

"Y/N, my dear, do you remember the Duchess Kavinsky? Her land borders our South Border."

I looked up from my pre-dinner soup, nervous with where he was going with this.

"Yes," I said, hesitantly. I sent a look to Lara Jean to see her smiling knowingly.

"Well, her oldest son, Peter, is now of marrying age."

I looked over at Lara Jean but she shook her head, still smirking at me. My eyes widened when she pointed at me.

"Wait," I said looking back at our father. "Are you suggesting. . ."

"I've discussed it with his mother, and we think the two of you would be a powerful match."

"A powerful match," I stuttered. My cheeks burned when I heard Kitty and Lara Jean giggle.

"I know how this sounds," he sighed. "I know that arranged marriage isn't something your generation wants, but. . ."

"It's political," I said under my breath, looking at my food suddenly not hungry.

"Y/N," he cleared his throat.

"It's okay," I said before he could speak up. "I understand. If you and Duchess Kavinsky have already arranged it. . . I will. . . I will go through with it."

I looked up to see my father and sisters staring at me with wide eyes. "Really?" Lara Jean asked, looking between our father and I. "I mean, we barely know him."

"I think Peter is kind of cute," Kitty giggled to herself.

"When's the wedding?" I asked, my voice soft.

"Well," father cleared his throat. "Duchess Kavinsky and I were thinking you'd like nice weather, so we were thinking September."

"September," I said to myself. I hesitated before taking a sip of my tea. I put my cup back on the saucer and nodded. "Sounds lovely."

"Y/N, my dear. I'm not arranging this marriage to force you into it. I'm doing it because Peter is a kind man, who will take wonderful care of you. And you deserve that."

"You don't think she deserves to fall in love like a normal woman?"

We looked over at Margot who had finally spoken up. I bit my lip, nervously avoiding our father's eyes.

Father cleared his throat before reaching over and grabbing my hand. "I understand that this is awkward, Y/N. I also know that the two of you might want to spend some time together before the wedding, so Duchess Kavinsky has invited us to stay with them for the summer. That way, you and Peter can get to know each other before you go through with the wedding. If you two decide to go through with the wedding."

* * * * *

As our carriage passed through our lands and towards the land that belonged to the Kavinsky family, my stomach sank lower and lower. Lara Jean tried to distract me, but it was useless. Father kept sending me looks that I couldn't interpret. And Kitty was the only one talking about the wedding.