You Belong With Me-Peter Kavinsky

I walked into my room after a long day of school and working at the diner down the street. I tossed my backpack towards my desk and plopped down onto my bed. Almost subconsciously, I looked over at my window. I smiled when I saw Peter in his room.

That smile immediately fell when I saw him on the phone, looking like he was in the middle of an argument.

You're on the phone with your girlfriend
She's upset
She's going off about something that you said
'Cause she doesn't get your humor like I do

My heart sank when I immediately knew what this was about and who he was talking to. I tried to distract myself by starting my English paper that was due at the end of next week. It was pretty much useless.

I turned up my music when I could faintly hear Peter's frustrated voice coming from his open window. Peter has been a close friend of mine ever since I could remember. The Kavinsky's have been our neighbors just as long.

I'm in my room
It's a typical Tuesday night
I'm listening to the kind of music she doesn't like
And she'll never know your story like I do'

Since middle school, Peter has had a back-and-forth type of relationship with Gen. They've been together since seventh grade but they are constantly fighting. And whenever they are fighting, Gen goes around and flirts with any and every boy who crosses her path.

It kills Peter, which is why she does it.

Peter deserves a girl who would never do this to him. He deserves someone who would stand by him no matter what. Not some cheerleader who is too worried about her looks that she doesn't care about being a good girlfriend.

But she wears short skirts
I wear T-shirts
She's cheer captain
And I'm on the bleachers
Dreaming about the day when you wake up
And find that what you're looking for has been here the whole time

Every time she plays with him, he comes to me and constantly talks about her. He usually spends all night after dinner, talking to me one the phone about how terrible she is, how much she is hurting him, and how defeated he feels.

And yet, he has no idea how I truly feel about him.

If you can see I'm the one who understands you
Been here all along so why can't you see
You belong with me

* * * * *

The next day, I decided to go to the park to finish my reading for school. As I was walking out of our house, I looked over to see Peter slamming his front door. I gripped the strap of my purse tighter as I put my headphones in, looked down at my feet and continued walking down the street.

"Y/N?"

I had a silent debate as to if I should turn around or not. Before I could decide either way, I could hear the faint sound of footsteps. I was just about to pass his house when I felt Peter grab my arm.

I jumped and turned around when I felt him grab my forearm. "Peter," I stuttered as I took out my headphones. "You okay?"

"Where you off to?" He asked instead of answering my question.

"Oh, I was just heading to my favorite park bench. I have to finish reading the novel for English and my brother is practicing for his orchestra concert next week."

"Must be pretty loud at your house," he laughed. I watched as he played with the hair on the back of his head. He glanced over his shoulder at his house, sighing.

"You wanna come?" I hesitated to ask. "I mean. . . You don't have to. . . I just thought. . ."

"Sounds like fun," he smiled at me. I sighed as we started walking down the sidewalk, towards the park. Every once in awhile, I could feel his hand brush against mine. My cheeks burned the more times his hand touched mine.