Ulterior Motives | Chapter 5

Jaren's POV

"And So then I was like 'woah, watch out' and then Jay was all like 'woah, what the fuck'." Matt babbles on, telling us about how he saved Jay from getting hit by a bus.

How does one not see a bus coming?

"Then let me guess, you went to Matt's place and fucked?" Eric asks, causing everyone to laugh.

I came out to John earlier today, and he hasn't told anyone yet.

I'm thankful for that.

"So John, eyes on anyone lately?" Ezra asks, leaning forward on his elbows.

"I've been trying to get in Jaren's pants but he keeps rejecting me." John complains, pouting at me.

"You gotta work for me baby." I joke, causing the guys to burst into a fit of laughter.

We're the loudest people in the cafeteria, no doubt about it.

My eyes drift over to Luke's table and I see him glance over at me. He smiles slightly and waves, so I wave back, somewhat thankful he's not ignoring me.

I still feel like an ass.

"Hey Jaren, guess what?" Cameron says, looking over at me.

"What?" I reply, leaning forward on the table slightly.

"Toby called you a twink." He whispers, causing Toby to smack his shoulder.

"Ha, Brian said the same thing." I reply with a small laugh.

"Brian actually talked to you? Damn." Griz says, leaning on Ezra's shoulder slightly.

"He's got that asshole vibe to him." I say, causing everyone to agree simultaneously.

"He's an asshole, the nicest ones in their group are David and Brock." Cameron says, grinning at me.

"I didn't meet them." I say, smiling softly.

"You would've liked them, everyone likes them. Brock and Brian are a thing." John says, humming slightly as he looks over at them.

I follow his gaze and see Brian and some other dude sat closely, talking.

That must be Brock.

"I'm glad you're hanging with us though, those guys are a tough crowd to fit in with." Toby says, shaking his head softly.

"Yeah, bunch of fags." Mason says, causing all of us to laugh.

Usually, I'd breakdown if I heard that word, but with them... Its fine. I don't know how to explain it.

I feel like I'm becoming more confident just being around them.

It's been one day, and I'm already feeling the best I've ever been.

"Incoming." Cameron mumbles.

"Wha-."

"Hey, Jaren. Can we talk?" Luke's voice cuts me off. I jump, slightly startled and turn to him.

"Yeah, sure." I say, glancing over at John who gives me a calm look.

I stand up and follow behind Luke, who seems very tense at the moment. We walk past his table and then right out the doors and into the hallway.

"Why are you hanging out with them?" He asks, turning to face me.

"Because they're chill and funny. Why?" I reply, confused.

"We warned you about them though." Luke points out, crossing his arms.

"Well, sorry for not believing every rumour I hear." I say, sarcasm lacing my words.